PDA

View Full Version : Loxahatchee New Year's Eve Sunset

Lance Warley
01-03-2010, 01:31 PM
Taken at the boat ramp after the sun dipped below the horizon.

As a rule, I try to get a fg object in sharp focus, but this one breaks that rule. I think the motion blur in the taller fg weeds adds to the dreamy nature of this scene.

5D II + 24-105mm @32mm F16, 30 seconds, ISO 100. Polarizer, 2-stop ND, 3-stop GND

Peter Farrell
01-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Dramatic (the clouds and reflection) and serene (the water and sky) at the same time. I do like the oof taller grass but I would be tempted to get rid of the darker leafy foliage (?) in the LLC. A wonderful overall compostion with great colors and light.

John Ippolito
01-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Lance, I am drawn to the lovely, silky smooth colors and tones in the reflections of the sky and clouds. The big 5D II file must have great tonality on this one. Very well done, and a great last view of 2009!

Stu Bowie
01-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Its difficult to balance FG and BG, when you have interesting subjects in both. That calm water is amazing, and love the sky's reflection on it. Well captured.

Dave Mills
01-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi Lance, Nicely balanced comp with soft lighting and a magnificent sky.Two areas in the foreground I might have done a bit different. I would have uncentered the clump of grass by moving it to the right. If your not against cloning I would have taken out the darker small clump. To my eye the mass it's forming is a bit distracting.

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2010, 10:01 AM
Lance,

I love the look of the water and the rather cold-toned look of the sky. I would run a reverse s-curve on this and mask out everything but the bright area on the middle left in the reflection. That really grabs the eye.

If possible I would have like to see you move left and get the tall grass in the right side of the image instead of the center.

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2010, 04:16 PM
Hey Lance,
Excellent advice given above and I agree with it!....but I will add one concerning the grasses (as I am not the biggest fan of the motion).....when a scene grabs you....as this one rightly did....many times I will try a higher ISO....and bracket with it....to freeze the motion (same with waterfalls)....and debate which one I like best. Consider this.....if one of your clients doesn't like the blur.....you then have the sharp one of the same scene! Maybe it's the old film shooter in me.....but bracketing still has its place!

Ramesh Adkoli
01-05-2010, 01:55 AM
What a lovely image, Lance! Love that soft color and texture of the water surface. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Nick Palmieri
01-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Nice image and lots of great comments. My only suggestion would be to off center those FG grasses as Dave has suggested.

Connie Mier
01-05-2010, 10:56 AM
Lance, you got some nice colors in here, although the clouds didn't cooperate as much as they are capable of doing. I agree with the placement of the grasses to be less centered. I do like the softness of the grasses as well but I think for that effect, it would have more appeal if the grasses were a more dominant feature in the photo. Overall, a great photo of a Florida scene.
Connie