PDA

View Full Version : Barnegat Jetty Pre-dawn

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 12:24 PM
On my very first morning on the Barnegat Jetty I arrived early and wanted to create a scene setting image.

Canon 24-105mm IS L lens handheld at 58mm with the EOS-1D MIII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering at zero: 1/20 sec. at f/11.

Don't be shy; all comments welcome.

ps; Does anybody see Axel in this image???

Axel Hildebrandt
01-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Pretty cool composition and light. I'll take your word for it that I am the little spot on the jetty. :)

Peter Farrell
01-03-2010, 03:36 PM
I really like the light and colors, especially the sky.
I like it a little better when cropping out the two biggest fg rocks. (just personal taste)
TFS, Peter

John Ippolito
01-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Art, I like the comp, colors, and tones of the sky, light house and beach. I agree with Paul on the crop. There is more foreground than needed to give the feel of depth to the image. For me it has a better balance as a squarish crop taking about a third off the bottom. I see Axel alright, but since we haven't met, I didn't recognize him.

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 04:51 PM
So let's see a repost :)

John Ippolito
01-03-2010, 04:59 PM
Art, this is what I had in mind. It still has lots of depth IMO. It is a lovely image. As someone once said - "less is more". ;-)

Mike Fuhr
01-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I like the repost -- it allows a bit more of the focus to be shifted to Axel :) and the lighthouse.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Art, this is what I had in mind. It still has lots of depth IMO. It is a lovely image. As someone once said - "less is more". ;-)

I'm glad you didn't clone me out. :)

Axel Hildebrandt
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
it allows a bit more of the focus to be shifted to Axel :)

Right, I feel much larger already! :)

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 05:44 PM
I am OK with the SQ crop but prefer the original COMP as it gives folks the idea that that is one loooooong jetty. With the crop, it looks like one of the wide short ones in Far Rockaway, NY.

Plus, I like the dark shadow in the OP on the lower left (though I wish it had been on the lower right to balance the lighthouse.

Thanks all for commenting. It is a great place for bird photography in the winter if you do not get killed. There is some good stuff on jetty photography and safety in my blog (www.birdsasart-blog.com) in two December posts. Plus, a link to a story and images of a guy who was very lucky not to die there.

Stu Bowie
01-04-2010, 04:10 AM
That is one long jetty if that is Axel at the end. Good DOF, and I like the placement of the lighthouse.

Mike Fuhr
01-04-2010, 07:22 AM
Right, I feel much larger already! :)

I might also lighten Axel's eyes a bit also in PS and remove one of the catch lights! :)

Arthur Morris
01-04-2010, 07:30 AM
I might also lighten Axel's eyes a bit also in PS and remove one of the catch lights! :)

I did that when I selectively sharpened the eyes.

Mike Fuhr
01-04-2010, 08:07 AM
I did that when I selectively sharpened the eyes.

Ha!! Sorry -- I couldn't resist! :D

Dave Mills
01-04-2010, 08:16 AM
Hi Art, Nice job on the comp with the jetty sweeping out to Axel and the lighthouse. A soft,pleasing sky along with good positioning of the lighthouse. I'm glad that Axel was included in the shot. I'll now know what he looks like if I run into him........

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Artie,

I am good with the crop for the reason you mentioned. Due to the early morning light, the image is a bit flat in my estimation which may be the intent. I tried a Local Contrast Enhancement using USM on BG at 30/50/0 and liked the results. Selective masking can be used to limit it to the Jetty if so desired. I find the jetty more inviting as a leading line with the contrast increase due to the LCE.

I masked out the sky and water. Jetty and lighthouse and small strip of land at LH have LCE.

Arthur Morris
01-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Artie,

I am good with the crop for the reason you mentioned. Due to the early morning light, the image is a bit flat in my estimation which may be the intent. I tried a Local Contrast Enhancement using USM on BG at 20/50/0 and liked the results. Selective masking can be used to limit it to the Jetty if so desired. I find the jetty more inviting as a leading line with the contrast increase due to the LCE.

So let's see your version!

Arthur Morris
01-04-2010, 10:04 AM
Ha!! Sorry -- I couldn't resist! :D

Me either!

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2010, 10:18 AM
So let's see your version!

Done above in my original post.

Arthur Morris
01-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Done above in my original post.

Thanks Robert. It looks good. Either it wasn't there or I missed it.... :)

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Thanks Robert. It looks good. Either it wasn't there or I missed it.... :)

No you did not miss it Artie. I did not put a repost of the image in my original post. :o I meant that I added it to the original post per your request.

Roman Kurywczak
01-04-2010, 04:26 PM
Hey Artie,
Well...I must confess that I was waiting for a few replies B4 I added my 2 cents and since no one went in the direction I was leaning and maybe it's because I have been there a few time.....so here goes...
I think the comp is perfect......I like the way you have the rocks and cracks in the FG leading me up the jetty....but that is where it ends. Since you don't mention a split ND, or double processing.....this has an unreal HDR look to it and I for my tastes something is off. The lighthouse and water look odd/off color and in a normal situation.....the rocks would be much darker.....as presented the shadow side of the lighthouse is way too bright compared against the sky. Toning the whole image down....FG and BG (although Robert did pretty well!) to a more natural tonal range will help bring the excellent comp to its full potential!
I say to you....post the original RAW converted and give the landscape forum a whack at it!
You know I say this respectfully and ever so gently as we are all here to learn....myself included!
PS Sorry Axel.....you just look like a dust bunny....gotta go.

Axel Hildebrandt
01-04-2010, 04:51 PM
PS Sorry Axel.....you just look like a dust bunny....gotta go.

That's a first, I don't think anyone has called me a dust bunny before. :)

I'm glad you did not ask me to clone myself out. :)

Arthur Morris
01-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey Artie, Well...I must confess that I was waiting for a few replies B4 I added my 2 cents and since no one went in the direction I was leaning and maybe it's because I have been there a few time.....so here goes... I think the comp is perfect......I like the way you have the rocks and cracks in the FG leading me up the jetty....but that is where it ends. Since you don't mention a split ND, or double processing.....this has an unreal HDR look to it and I for my tastes something is off. The lighthouse and water look odd/off color and in a normal situation.....the rocks would be much darker.....as presented the shadow side of the lighthouse is way too bright compared against the sky. Toning the whole image down....FG and BG (although Robert did pretty well!) to a more natural tonal range will help bring the excellent comp to its full potential! I say to you....post the original RAW converted and give the landscape forum a whack at it! You know I say this respectfully and ever so gently as we are all here to learn....myself included! PS Sorry Axel.....you just look like a dust bunny....gotta go.

Above is the same ACR conversion that I started with. I did Linear Burn the sky (a suggestion that you usually make on my landscape images :)) The even lighting is a result of the sun being just on the horizon. I am no landscape photographer so have at it. The more the merrier.

ps: For me this was just a B-roll grab shot....

Nick Palmieri
01-05-2010, 08:24 AM
The nice textures in the rocks and the bright sky may make this a very nice B&W image.

Morkel Erasmus
01-05-2010, 02:29 PM
I like the original comp a lot! lovely mood.
if we were to play with your image, Artie - would you prefer we post our results in this thread or a new one?

Arthur Morris
01-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Here is the right place Mork-Man:)

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey Artie,
As I suspected.....According to the levels histogram.....a bit bright on the sky......the split ND would have helped or an HDR attempt.....I will give it a shot in a few.

Roman Kurywczak
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
OK Artie,
I think I need to put the split ND back in the sig:)......would have done wonders here and saved a ton of work! PS2....first a reverse s-curve....then down on levels to the midtones and blacks. S/H just to knock down some highlights and down on B/C on the left side water and sky. Then I lost count and track.....although I do remember an LCE, added blacks to the neutrals and black (sky mostly) in selective color, color balance on sky and LH water, and the rest I can't remember! Do realize that I went darker as it is titled pre-dawn......usually not that bright!.....oh and lastly....Axel and the jetty marker got digitally cleaned up (sorry Axel!)
As I mentioned above....the split would have tamed the sky and kept the rocks nicely llluminated. 4oz.'s would have saved some computer work!
Even if you think I went overboard:eek:....let me know!
PS I think a pseudo HDR blend would also work! PPS....noise Ninja run on sky twice because of banding!

peter delaney
01-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Hi Arthur.great thread by the way , very informative...
firstly l love the composition , and have to say I prefaer what Roman has done with image , only suggestion I would make is to crop off the top to were the pink hue ends.. makes for stronger image imo...

Arthur Morris
01-06-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks Roman, I like your version but to paraphrase my friend Ofer Levy "that is not what it looked like." The title was likely a poor choice. I thought about creating the image in the pre-dawn but by the time I swung into action the sun was just above the horizon (as I noted somewhere above) :) IAC, thanks for your instructive comments and the repost. If I added a split ND to my vest it would be the straw that broke the camel's back ;)

Arthur Morris
01-06-2010, 07:41 PM
Hi Arthur.great thread by the way , very informative...
firstly l love the composition , and have to say I prefaer what Roman has done with image , only suggestion I would make is to crop off the top to were the pink hue ends.. makes for stronger image imo...

Good suggestion. Thank you sir.