PDA

View Full Version : Northern pygmy owl with predated vole.

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Went out looking for otters today and all I found was an pygmy owl :confused:

This fierce litte predator has just taken this vole who probably outweighs the owl. I wish it's chosen perch could have bee a litlle less busy but I tried to make the best of it..

Canon Eos1d2, EF600mmF4IS, 1.4X, Gitzo & Foba, 550EX with BB -11/3 FEC. ISO 400. 1/640 @ F7.1

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 05:32 PM
Geeeeez, I am going to have to put you on my black list ;)

Graphic but very beautiful at the same time! Congratulations!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, if you don't like it, feel free to send the original file to me. :) I'd love to see this species someday. I don't think it is too busy since it is their natural environment. The prey and bloody foot put it over the top. Congratulations!

Grace Scalzo
01-02-2008, 06:16 PM
FIne image, really tells a complete story. I love the habitat.

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 07:37 PM
I dream about images like this. :D Wonderful.

Linda Robbins
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
So, this is all you got? This is it? You are killing me! What a terrific image. The bleached dead branch perch is a nice diagonal touch, and the surrounding habitat is very attractive. The poses of both the owl and the vole are outstanding. Wonderful capture!

Linda

Steve Foss
01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
Hah, how many times have I gone looking for otters and found something else instead? The only time I've ever found otters was when I was looking for something else.

Almost everything works for me. Give me a bird in its natural environment being itself over a bird-on-a-stick every time. Great capture. I'm a little put off by the strength of the flash. I think dropping mid-range levels would handle that nicely.

Maxis Gamez
01-02-2008, 07:53 PM
This is very nice. The details, colors and action are simply wonderful.

Stephen Stephen
01-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Lovely image. I like how the bird has clearly made eye contact with you. I find this is a regular occurence with the owls that I've photographed.

It's amazing how such a small bird could take such large prey.

Glenn Bartley
01-02-2008, 10:31 PM
I am very jealous :)

Excellent image of this guy.

Emil Martinec
01-02-2008, 10:33 PM
I would love to chance upon something like this; BIG congrats. It tells such a great story, and the included habitat is where the bird lives (I am one of those who finds bird-on-a-stick images sterile). My only nit is that my eye keeps getting drawn to the reddish-orange patch below the vole's hind feet; if you are not averse to such things, muting that or changing the color to match the rest of the BG might help.

DanWalters
01-03-2008, 06:32 PM
Great shot! Love the eye contact.