PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Osprey Pic

WIlliam Maroldo
01-03-2010, 12:20 AM
SonyA700~Sony70-400G@400mm~ISO1000~F5.6~1/1000 sec~manual exposure~HH~overcast~12-30-09~flood control reservoir, Houston, Texas~CS4
Full frame.
Sometimes I have zero time to adjust my camera for something unexpected. Here is a case in point. I was flat on my back close to the bank of the reservoir taking some pretty decent pictures of an osprey I'd guess 100 feet overhead. Nothing close to full frame. I think the sort of hovering should have been a big clue. Anyway, I looked away for a minute, and before I could comprehend what was happening I heard a big splash about 20 feet in front of me, looked to see what was happening and managed a few shots. Here is one of them. Sure, I clipped the wings, the bird is flying away from me, no eye contact, and I could have used more DOF and a higher shutter speed, but I was happy with the image none the less. Comments and critique welcomed. regards~Bill --Note, for some reason I notice things after I post them. The image needs a saturation boost, I notice some whites blown in the red channel, and a curves contrast adjustment needs to be made. Its getting too late now, time for bed.

My images posted at BPN (http://www.myimageportfolio.com/PostedBPN)

Bill Dix
01-03-2010, 01:45 PM
Bill - The tight full-frame shot gives it good intimacy, and the fish and water drops make it a great record of the action taking place in front of you. You've given a pretty good self-critique. I can't tell you how many times I've looked away for an instant, to check the histogram of a previous shot or some other distraction, only to miss the best chance of the day.

Katie Rupp
01-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Hi Bill, it's a quirk of mine, but I like a good "going-away" shot, I think because it evokes the story...what just happened and where/to what is the subject going? In this image I like the curve of the fish, the water drops and lines of the grasses; like rays of light radiating from the Osprey.

Richard Waas
01-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Quick on the trigger... Very nice. It may not be technically perfect, but it certainly tells a story. I'd love to have taken this pic.... Congrats!!

Gus Cobos
01-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Hi Bill,
This is a nice record capture which tells the story...I like it very much...I wish it were mine...:) Keep them coming...:cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
01-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Agree with comments above - an interesting survival moment in nature - well done.