PDA

View Full Version : Circle B Bar Reserve - Lakeland - Update - Hot Bird Action

Michael Pancier
01-02-2010, 11:12 PM
I just got back from spending the morning at the Circle B Bar Reserve park in Lakeland, and all I can tell you is that this place is the hottest location right now for bird photography in Florida.

The park opens at 6:30 a.m. which allows you to get in just before sunrise. There are many trails, yet I simply spent my time on heron and marsh rabbit trails. They work out best in the am as you have the sun behind you.

It seemed like O'Hare Airport there with the birds in flight. First of all, I've never seen so many white pelicans in my life. They were flying in formation by the hundreds and as you head towards Lake Hancock, you will literally see thousands of white pelicans out there.

Besides the flight ops with the white pelicans, I saw spoons, juvenile bald eagles, adult bald eagles; osprey, hawks, tons of warblers and gnat catchers, woodpeckers, egrets and herons, cormorants, coots, moorhens, wood storks, sandhill cranes (who also provided flght ops as well).

[Update: heard that the actual white pelican count there is about 7,000]

Some photographers I spoke to told me that I had just missed some shots of the bobcat and river otters as well.

This location right now is non-stop action between the flight shots and the ground shots. It is a must stop right now. Note that there are two active bald eagle nests there right now as well. You can spend the entire day here; pack a lunch and have a picnic as well. The facility they have built here is state of the art.

Their website is here (http://www.polk-county.net/subpage.aspx?menu_id=52&nav=res&id=6040).

The drive there from St. Pete was quick and I got there in less than an hour. This place is amazing. Check it out.

Judd Patterson
01-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Sounds sweet Michael! Now if only it wasn't so far away from me. I'll sure try to get up there one of these January weekends. Thanks again.

Don Hamilton Jr.
01-06-2010, 08:33 AM
My dad, lives 20 mins from there, and echo's the same reports and we have plans to get in there together and hopefully capture some great shots!
Don

Mike Tracy
01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
It might seem obvious but bring water with you on the trails as there are no facilities that I saw once you leave the parking area.

Don Hamilton Jr.
01-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Don't forget Luch either,,, it's all about the lunch!!! :) :)

Michael Pancier
01-06-2010, 01:04 PM
It might seem obvious but bring water with you on the trails as there are no facilities that I saw once you leave the parking area.

yes you are correct, they have the facilities in the buildings and 2 port-a-potties just on the edge of of the lot, but on the trails, you're on your own

Josh O'Donnell
01-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Sounds great Michael, thanks for sharing! I just received word that I'm being transferred back to Tampa after almost 2 years in the DC area, so I'm excited to get back to the Florida birds!!!!

Don Hamilton Jr.
01-08-2010, 11:21 AM
Josh, great news. Maybe we'll see more of you over here as well at green cay, and waco/wetlands. My dad's over there (circle B)right now since early am. Lucky guy, Retirement, man i can't wait!!! :) :)
Don

Myer Bornstein
01-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info I will add Circle B Bar Reserve park to my visit list when I go to Florida next month

Josh O'Donnell
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Don, you certainly will be seeing me over there quite a bit, Scripps Research Institute in Jupiter will be a client that I have to visit several times a month, so when I'm over there I'll be sure to bring my photo gear along as well! We're very excited, we're not officially moving until the last week of March, so the next couple months can't pass quick enough.

Don Hamilton Jr.
01-08-2010, 12:31 PM
Excellente!!! Make sure you give us a shout down here when you get settled in. I'm also planning some trips to lakeland, my dad lives about 20 mins awayfrom the Circle B ranch. I'll keep you in the loop, maybe we load up and hit the trial up there!
Don
561-212-7358

Roger Clark
01-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Michael,
I checked out Cricle B yesterday. My wife and I di he alligator alley loop. Many many birds of all kinds from eagles down to little BB. They do seem a little skittish. Light was not good to I didn't take any images but there are certainly possibilities. If you arrive at sunrise where do you recommend going? It seems to me south out of the parking lot the "heron hideout" seems more open for better imaging. Along alligator alley toward heron hideout is beautiful and many birds in the marshes but too many bushes in the way for clean shots. I can see some very interesting scenics along alligator alley in great light.

Roger

Michael Pancier
01-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Michael,
I checked out Cricle B yesterday. My wife and I di he alligator alley loop. Many many birds of all kinds from eagles down to little BB. They do seem a little skittish. Light was not good to I didn't take any images but there are certainly possibilities. If you arrive at sunrise where do you recommend going? It seems to me south out of the parking lot the "heron hideout" seems more open for better imaging. Along alligator alley toward heron hideout is beautiful and many birds in the marshes but too many bushes in the way for clean shots. I can see some very interesting scenics along alligator alley in great light.

Roger

Rog, at sunrise I did the heron and marsh rabbit trail. the marsh rabbit trail is good in the morning heading towards the lake as you'll have the sun at your back. you have some openings on the side and sometimes views of birds in the trees ahead of you. Some of the brush is high along part of that trail, which sucks for some flight shots. The heron trail as you head down from the parking lot has ponds on your left and right. The left pond will be backlit once the sun comes up, but may offer interesting shots pre sunrise.

Lake Hancock is where you'll see all the birds in flight. you take the rabbit trail there and you'll have the sun at your back all morning.

I only had one visit there, so that's my only experience thus far. But the central florida photographers some go there a lot. I'll see what more I can find out.

Here's (http://jerryjourdan.blogspot.com/2010/01/circle-b-bar-reserve-pt-deux-31-dec.html) a blog poster who described a lot of the action there from 10 days ago