PDA

View Full Version : Ice storm + fog.

Daniel Cadieux
01-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Another from after last week's ice storm. This lone tree in a field caught my eye, and then the fog descended from above. Right place at the right time! P.S. This is a full colour image...no B/W conversion or selective colour applied:).

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/100s., f/10, ISO 640, +2 EC, handheld.

denise ippolito
01-02-2010, 09:50 PM
Daniel, I love this. The lone tree looks sharp and full of detail yet the entire image has a soft peaceful look to it. I like that you didn't make this a pano. The foggy sky at the top adds alot to the image. Very nicely seen.

Indranil Sircar
01-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Beautiful composition, Daniel. I love the mode you have captured here. The lone tree catches the attention. Well seen and framed!

Anita Rakestraw
01-02-2010, 11:04 PM
Lovely fog & ice image, Daniel. I like how leaving alot of the sky in lends more light to the image.

Ramesh Adkoli
01-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Fantastic image, Daniel. you captured the mood very nicely. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Stu Bowie
01-03-2010, 07:43 AM
Lovely mood to this Dan, and you nailed the overall exposure perfectly. Although not a conversion as stated, the pinkish vegatation adds to the image nicely. Good placement of the tree. Well done.

Dave Mills
01-03-2010, 11:23 AM
Hi Daniel, Nice mood along with a spot of color here and there adding interest to the image. For my taste I would crop out half the sky.By doing this I don't feel the mood is effected and the dominant tree becomes more so....

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
Hi Daniel,
While I think you could go with a pano crop, I like the OP as presnted. The subtle darker tone leading to the lighter sky....make this a definite winner all around. Very well done!

Arthur Morris
01-03-2010, 12:03 PM
Well done but where are the birds. Don't faint, but I agree with Roman on the pano suggestion :)

John Ippolito
01-03-2010, 03:08 PM
I like the composition and the atmosphere captured. I could see a case for a pano crop, but suspect that if I saw a large print with all the subtle tones in the fog, I would prefer the original.

Mike Fuhr
01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I agree about the pano -- it was the first thing that popped into my mind after looking at the upper 1/3rd or so of the photo. Not much happening up there. I like this one a lot! Nice work.:)

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2010, 09:49 AM
Daniel,

I like this as is. Though the pano crop suggestion will produce a strong composition, I like images where an expansive sky can add to the mood as it does here. The OP vs. a pano are two different images IMO and both work here is different statements of this scene.

The choice then becomes what mood do you wish to impart on the viewer? How do you or did you feel about this scene when you created this image?

Daniel Cadieux
01-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Hey guys, thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

I had actually struggled between a pano crop or not, made and kept both versions, and settled for this one preference-wise. I like how this version showcases the grandeur of the fog "curtain" that I observed coming down on this scene.

I like the pano crop I did too, but as Robert says, it's a completely different feel (and it does indeed work well too).:cool:

peter delaney
01-07-2010, 06:58 AM
Hi Daniel

I hope you do not mind , but l could not help myself, gorgeous vista , I just wondered how it would look in B&W.

Daniel Cadieux
01-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Hey Peter, I don't mind it at all! Thanks for converting the image. I see you've also cropped it a bit too. That whole morning felt like I was walking in a B/W world, except for a few subtle colours peeking through the ice here and there :-)