PDA

View Full Version : Snowflake

Gerri Levine
01-02-2010, 01:25 PM
Happy New Year to you all. (This was my holiday card last year. It actually had some press coverage).
Taken before I had a dSLR with a wonderful, little Panasonic DMC-FZ18, 1/125, f4.2 iso 100. Some dark-eyed juncos were at my feeder during a snowstorm and I took some pics for fun. I was really happy to see this one! Pics were taken thru a screen and double-paned glass and if you look, you can see the screen (but I'm not too bothered by it).

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2325/2244550246_f97af3b446.jpg

Anita Rakestraw
01-02-2010, 04:44 PM
This is really sweet, Gerri, and Happy New Year to you too!! The glass and screen didn't seem to bother this image much; you've got good details and sharpness! A little reprocessing brings out more of it - also it's a bit dark, IMO. You can post larger!! :D Hope you don't mind, I quickly played with your image a bit. Oh, yeah - I'm sure you know about the head angle....P.S. I do think some of the screen shows a bit now....maybe I oversharpened. (-:

Lance Peters
01-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Hi - Anita's repost improves - IMHO the lack of any eye contact makes this one difficult.
The HAP will have to place you under arrest - LOL.
Sometimes you can get away with a different HA - if the bird is looking out of the frame at something in particular - whilst I like the overall feel here - the lack of a visible eye just doesn't hold my interest.
Just IMHO.
Keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos
01-02-2010, 07:56 PM
Hi Gerri,
All points covered and sound advise given; Anita's repost improves it 100 percent. Agree with Mr. Peters on the head angle and eye contact...this one is your learning image, your next one is going to be super...:) Looking forward to it...keep them coming...:cool:

Gerri Levine
01-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Hi
Anita, thanks for the repost. I like the brightening of the perfect snowflake on the head (which is the crux of the image).
Mr. Peters and Mr. Cobos, I understand the point about HA but sometimes the idea is just to CTM (capture the moment), IMHO. And if I can get the junco to pose again for me with a great HA and eye contact and a snowflake on its head, it will be a super image indeed! LOL :D
Gerri