PDA

View Full Version : Feral Water Buffalo

Richard Mc Donald
01-02-2010, 01:12 PM
http://nhulunbuy.com/lb.jpg

1D MKII EF 500mm f/4 1/320 ISO 100

I think my lungs bled after going berserk distracting this tank. It tought me to keep my mind on the job instead of day dreaming, another 30 meters would have put me right in the "red zone"

It's full frame (cropped) so you can see how close I was.

These buffs can be numerous at times so it pays to have an escape route and of course on this particular day that was the furtherest from my mind.

Two weeks after this shot this buff gored and killed one of the locals and was shot by the police.

Check out the eyes, I've a feeling this animal is a result of too much cross breeding, even its hide is an odd mixture of colours. Personaly I think he's just found a patch of Datura or just finished munching on a poisonous Cane Toad! :)

C and C welcom.

Richard

Sid Garige
01-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Richard,

He sure looks very odd. Never seen one with that kind of eyes.

Composition is good and I like the bulls eye approach. Suites very nice for this subject.
Not sure of the OOF stump in the background. I kind of feel it is little distracting. Might be just me.

David Fletcher
01-02-2010, 04:14 PM
Does have the mad eye look Richard. Face is a bit soft and some selective sharpening will punch that out. Thanks for info and sharing.

Marc Mol
01-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Very interesting image Richard. That confronting look he's giving you is amazing, VWD.
I head up to Arhnem Land nearly every year to fish, and it's been a while since I've seen a WB in the wild.
Where exactly did you capture this image?

Richard Mc Donald
01-02-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks Marc.

The shot was taken in our local lagoon here in Nhulunbuy.

Richard

Very interesting image Richard. That confronting look he's giving you is amazing, VWD.
I head up to Arhnem Land nearly every year to fish, and it's been a while since I've seen a WB in the wild.
Where exactly did you capture this image?

Ken Watkins
01-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Crazy eyes!

Alfred Forns
01-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Hi Richard Glad it did not go after you !!!

Love those crazy eyes Would crop some from the top to make it more rectangular and have that face larger in frame !!! .... also do raise your ISO ... you did come up with a sharp image but always nice to have a safety factor speed wise !!!

Richard Mc Donald
01-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Thanks Alfred.

ISO100 was part of the day dreaming. :)

Richard

Hi Richard Glad it did not go after you !!!

Love those crazy eyes Would crop some from the top to make it more rectangular and have that face larger in frame !!! .... also do raise your ISO ... you did come up with a sharp image but always nice to have a safety factor speed wise !!!

Richard Mc Donald
01-05-2010, 06:07 AM
Cheers Dave.

The original shot before PP is rather soft due to the slow shutter speed v lens size.

Having been a member of various critique forums over the years I have a real fear of over sharpening which appears to have been one of my main PP faults in the past, these days that has now changed to crop orientation.

Richard

Does have the mad eye look Richard. Face is a bit soft and some selective sharpening will punch that out. Thanks for info and sharing.