PDA

View Full Version : Vernal Falls

Indranil Sircar
01-02-2010, 01:49 AM
This is another of the highly photographed falls in Yosemite. At the peak water flow in Spring, it is hard to get close for photos without getting wet! I took this image in August of 2002 as I was hiking up the trail to the top of the falls. The settings were 1/30sec, f/8, ISO 100 on a stand. Your C&C wil be appreciated...

~ Indranil

Stu Bowie
01-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Indranil, impressive waterfall, and I like the effect of the slow ss. I would liked to have seen a bit more of the pool at the bottom ( if it was possible )

Lance Warley
01-02-2010, 12:37 PM
I like the side view comp and, as Stuart said, the water looks great.

A bit more Shad & Hi & COntrast on the rocks might make the water pop even more.

Daniel Cadieux
01-02-2010, 02:03 PM
Impressive waterfall - I can see why it would be often photographed! I wouldn't mind seeing the rocks and trees a little sharper for web presentation. Would you have been able to take the image wider to avoid clipping the water in URC? I love the rushing feel of the falls...

Indranil Sircar
01-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Indranil, impressive waterfall, and I like the effect of the slow ss. I would liked to have seen a bit more of the pool at the bottom ( if it was possible )

Thanks Stuart. I do not remember but it was unlikely I could have got the entire falls with the pool at the bottom. I do have other angle images with more of the lower part which I will post in future.

I like the side view comp and, as Stuart said, the water looks great.

A bit more Shad & Hi & COntrast on the rocks might make the water pop even more.

Thanks Lance. Here is a repost with a bit more s/h....

Impressive waterfall - I can see why it would be often photographed! I wouldn't mind seeing the rocks and trees a little sharper for web presentation. Would you have been able to take the image wider to avoid clipping the water in URC? I love the rushing feel of the falls...

Thanks Daniel. For the repost, I have reworked the original image with a different crop to include the previously clipped URC. Also sharpened a bit more for the final web version...

Dave Mills
01-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Hi Indranil, So far I like your original post the best due to a saturation loss in the repost. My ideal framing would be a bit more room on the top and bottom. I like the positioning of the falls within the frame...

Roman Kurywczak
01-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Hi Indranil,
Very good points above and I agree with them....especially Dave's last comments. I feel that the plunge pool needs to be there.

Robert Amoruso
01-04-2010, 09:45 AM
I second Dave's comments.

Indranil Sircar
01-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Dave, Roman, Robert, thanks for the feedback. Appreciate it a lot.