PDA

View Full Version : First Mallard in Flight

Colin Knight
01-01-2010, 07:56 PM
I've found a new area here in northern SC, where waterfowl are so scarce. I scouted out this location today, and will be in position tomorrow morning well before sunrise for what promises to be an excellent day of nature photography.

Where is the lighting usually preferred? I will be setting up with the sunrise at my back obviously, but generally speaking, is it more pleasing for the birds to be flying into the sun, or to the side? This mallard was flying straight into the sunset, which created some harsh shadows on the head area. Also, wing position leaves a lot to be desired too. I would have liked that left wing a bit lower.

My new workflow is Canon's DPP, then to CS3 for sharpening. Please tell me if this is sharp enough to meet BPN's standards.

Thanks for looking!
Colin

Canon 50D + 500mm f/4 + TC
1/1600 sec
f/5.6
ISO 800

http://www.pbase.com/clknight/image/120730638/original.jpg

Lance Peters
01-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Hi Colin - Happy new year - lots to like here - Yes it is sharp :) Exposure looks pretty good and not bad for a first attempt at BIF.
Lighting - best to have the sun at your back! Wing position - most pleasing images usually will hav ethe wings in a fully up or fully down position.
This one is a littler tight in the frame - some more space at the bottom and perhaps some more room up front for him to fly into.
Looking good - keep them coming :)

Colin Knight
01-01-2010, 09:21 PM
Thanks Lance!

Tomorrow should be an action packed morning. Maybe I'll have something fit for the Avian forum- if I'm lucky.

Colin

Gus Cobos
01-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Very nice capture Colin,
I like the head angle and sharp eye contact. The color rendition is good as so are the feather details. You caught Mr. Duck just before the start of his right banking turn. Agree with Mr. Peters on the spacing to the left side of the frame and at the bottom...good show...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Colin Knight
01-01-2010, 09:41 PM
I always welcome your critique Gus, especially after helping out with that heron shot a couple months ago. =)

Colin