PDA

View Full Version : Do not disturb!

Ramesh Adkoli
01-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Spotted this common grass blue butterfly at Lalbhag (a sprawling park in Bangalore)the other day. It was napping way into late morning. Could not parallel the camera to its wings nor could i use a tripod. Had to make do with this DOF. I liked the BG and the diagonal perch. Would like to know your views.

Wish you all a very happy new year!

D700, 105mm Micro VR, 1/60s, f5.6, ISO 400, hand held, full frame
CNX2, adjusted WB and slight contrast

regards,
ramesh

Allen Sparks
01-01-2010, 09:06 AM
Hi Ramesh, I also like the background and perch but that is about it. The focal plane seems to be on one of the legs and a very small part of the upper body. Much more of the wings would have to be in focus for this to work for me. I find butterflies very difficult to photograph because they rarely stay still but that is part of the challenge and fun...getting most all of them in focus.

Julie Kenward
01-01-2010, 12:29 PM
I love the "feel" of the image but I have to agree with Allen - for as beautiful and soft as the impression of this image is I can't get past the angle of the butterfly - I want so badly to see his face. Even a slight scoot to the right (if that had been possible) would have yielded a clearer version of his face and a small amount of eye contact but sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Ramesh Adkoli
01-03-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks Allen and Julie for your views. It was a frustrating experience for me in the field.

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Ramesh, agree with whats been said earlier. But despite the shortcomings, I like it a lot. Nice soft feel and beautiful comp.