PDA

View Full Version : Tripod for switching between scope and telephoto

Phil Battley
01-01-2010, 02:53 AM
Hi all,

I somewhat unexpectedly managed to procure a Canon 500 mm lens last year for research purposes (I work on shorebirds), which raised a new issue. I use a spotting scope on a Manfrotto fluid video head as my standard fixture, and that was fine with a 400 f5.6 lens. Now I want to be able to move between that head/scope pairing and a Mongoose 3.5/500 mm combo, in the field, often on a tidal flat (where I don't want to drop any screws or tools) without having to lug two tripods around.

One option I have seen mentioned is using cut-off centre columns and having a different rig on each. Has anyone tried this with the Gitzo GT3531 or GT3541L? I would prefer a 3-section tripod rather than 4, as I usually have to have the bottom section out to keep the first joint out of the mud or water, and the 3-part legs are fatter (and I presume sturdier) than 4-part bottom sections. However, the height of the 4-section tripod (150 cm without column extended) is better than the 3-section one (133 cm). And has anyone ever compared these for functionality with a 500 mm against the standard non-column versions?

Many thanks in advance for your comments!

Cheers from a windy NZ,

Phil

Tony Whitehead
01-01-2010, 03:02 AM
Something that may be worth considering, Phil. Chris van Rooyen uses a Manfrotto fluid head for his telephotos (Canon 500 until his move to Nikon) in preference to a gimbal. It may be an option to try a QR plate on the spotting scope and another on the lens which would allow interchange between the two without changing heads. An OpTech neoprene strap would let you hang the one not in use over a shoulder to keep it out of the mud.

Roger Clark
01-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Phil,
I agree with Tony: use quick release plates.

It is dangerous not to use a gimbal head with something as heavy as a 500 mm. So why not use the gimbal with the spotting scope too and quick release plates on each?

Roger

Douglas Bolt
01-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi Phil,

I put a RRS QR plate (MPR 113) on my Leica scope and use either the scope or a Canon 400DO on a Gitzo 3541 tripod. I find that I prefer the scope attached to a RRS BH40 head, but I've also used it attached to a Mongoose head.

Of course you still have to carry either your scope or camera, which one is not on the tripod/head. The best solution I've found for carrying the camera is the Black Rapid harness.

Carrying the scope could also be done with the Black Rapid. The RRS plate is tapped so there is a place for Black Rapid to attach, but the hole is on the bottom of the plate making it necessary to remove the mounting screw before you could mount the scope on the head.

Phil Battley
01-01-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks gents,

I may try to fashion a "tripod-head arm" for the scope and clamp it to the base of the scope. I have tried the scope on the Mongoose in my office, and found it mighty wierd, but maybe all I need is something to bring some normality back to the system!

Cheers, Phil