PDA

View Full Version : Another Ruddy Turnstone

Bill Dix
12-31-2009, 02:57 PM
D90, 80-400 VR @ 370mm. IS) 400, f/9 @ 1/640. Matrix metering @ -1.7 EV. Aperture priority, AF-A. HH.

Barnegat Lighthouse several weeks ago. I know the HAP will nab me for this one, but I liked the 'looking out to sea' pose. Under-exposed in camera and adjusted in RAW Capture; cropped about 30%, sharpened bird and de-noised BG. C&C appreciated.

Jackie Schuknecht
12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
This looks very nice Bill. Don't mind the HA. I might just take a bit off the bottom to minimize the "perch" and put more focus on the bird (so the bird is larger in the frame). Good colours and PP.

Gus Cobos
12-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Beautiful image and capture Bill,
I like the color rendition and fine feather details. I like the slanted natural perch. The background bring it all together...very nice...the head angle is a little off, needs a slight adjustment CCW...aside from this, well done...keep them coming...:cool:

Nonda Surratt
12-31-2009, 06:13 PM
Lovely bird Bill. Agree on the HA then again this seems fine to me since the eye and everything is so nice and bird seems very intent.

Lance Peters
12-31-2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Bill - lUckily it was new years eve last night - The HAP are a little hung over ;)
Sharp as a tack - I am seeing a little bit of a halo around some parts of the beak - composition works well for me
Happy new year :)

Bob Decker
12-31-2009, 06:56 PM
Good looking shot. Really like the feather detail. I saw a few of these guys a couple weeks ago and wondered what they were. Guess I was too lazy to look them up. ;)

Bill Dix
12-31-2009, 08:04 PM
Thank you Jackie, Gus, Nonda, Lance and Bob, for your kind comments and helpful suggestions. May you all have a Happy New Year filled with glorious light and cooperative birds!

Gus Cobos
01-01-2010, 08:59 AM
Thank you Bill,
Wishing you and your family a wonderful New Year...If you ever come down to Florida, or are in the Miami area, just let me know, and I can show you the various place to photograph our birds...:):cool:

Bill Dix
01-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Thank you Bill,
Wishing you and your family a wonderful New Year...If you ever come down to Florida, or are in the Miami area, just let me know, and I can show you the various place to photograph our birds...:):cool:

Thank you Gus. Florida is a birder's paradise, and I would love to get down there again.

Gail Spitler
01-02-2010, 01:22 PM
Bill - I think this one is a winner all around. HA doesn't bother me. Love the orange legs against the green seaweed.
Congrats
Gail

Bill Dix
01-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Bill - I think this one is a winner all around. HA doesn't bother me. Love the orange legs against the green seaweed.
Congrats
Gail
Thanks Gail. Have a Happy New Year!