PDA

View Full Version : GBH topside

Emil Martinec
01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
http://theory.uchicago.edu/%7Eejm/pix/20d/posts/nsn/gbh_topside-nsn.jpg

1D3 + 500/4, 1/1250 sec, f6.3, ISO 200, manual exposure and a rare cloudless day in FL

Hi all. Looks like I was at the Venice rookery about a week ahead of the gang. I was originally planning a visit to Ft de Soto, but a brutal cold front came through with strong north winds and temps only a few degrees above freezing. So I changed plans and made my first pilgrimage to this spot. Coming from Chicago I had all my cold weather gear with me and soon outlasted the natives, having the place to myself. The birds didn't seem to care and I came away with some wonderful images. I picked this one for being a bit different; I may post the usual interaction shots a bit later...

BTW, this was the best topside view of a burst, but the eye was partly covered by the nictating membrane, so I pasted in the eye from the next frame in the burst.

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 05:22 PM
Big welcome, EJ!!!

I know, the membrane is ALWAYS in the best image ;)

Great topside vies with lots of plumage detail and excellent wing position for this angle. Looking good!!!

Axel Hildebrandt
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Welcome, Emil! Great topside view and pose. Your Mark III seems to work really well. I wouldn't have noticed that you replaced the eye. I'm wondering if fill flash would have helped to get more details in the shadows around the neck. I look forward to your other images from Florida.

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 05:27 PM
Hi EJ Nice to see you !!!!! Sorry about the cold weather !!!

I like feather texture/color very much Love seeing the top side Excellent The only thing I wish is that it were mine !!!! Congrats !!!

....btw if you can PM your full name that you want for user I would appreciate Going through the entire list making changes We would like for all to show full names !!!

Oh the weather was very warm when we were there last week !!!

Arthur Morris
01-02-2008, 06:05 PM
Welcome EJM, This is a fine image. I love the dorsal view and the bird angling through the frame. A bit of Shadow;Highlight on the neck shadow will help. Here is a tip that will be in the next update of Digital Basics: When you make a SH/H adjustment, especially a fairly large one, the darker areas often look muddy... Go to the bottom of the Show More Options Sh/H dialogue box and move the midtone contrast slider to the right to somewhere between 8 and 15. Magic!

Later and love, artie

ps: Also, amazing wingtip to wingtip sharpness. Is this a crop?

Emil Martinec
01-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Welcome EJM, This is a fine image. I love the dorsal view and the bird angling through the frame. A bit of Shadow;Highlight on the neck shadow will help. Here is a tip that will be in the next update of Digital Basics: When you make a SH/H adjustment, especially a fairly large one, the darker areas often look muddy... Go to the bottom of the Show More Options Sh/H dialogue box and move the midtone contrast slider to the right to somewhere between 8 and 15. Magic!

Later and love, artie

ps: Also, amazing wingtip to wingtip sharpness. Is this a crop?

Thanks for the tip, Artie. The crop of the raw in ACR is 3266x2178 pixels, from the original 3888x2592 on the 1D3.

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 07:36 PM
Great topside view and welcome aboard, Emil!

Linda Robbins
01-02-2008, 07:49 PM
Nice topside view, and I like seeing the feet just peeking out behind. Excellent sharp detail and a good head position. Very nice!
Next time you come to my area, we'll order up better weather for you!

Linda

Maxis Gamez
01-02-2008, 08:18 PM
Hello and welcome,

Not an easy image to capture. The details and composition works very well. I really like the wings across the frame.

Neil Knapp
01-02-2008, 08:54 PM
Hi, Emil
Nice job on the exposure, nice whites, and I still see detail in the shadows and darker midtones. Also like that topside view.

___
Neil

Glenn Bartley
01-02-2008, 10:30 PM
Really fantastic flight shot of this guy. If it were mine I would take a bit off of the top and add it to the bottom.

Cant wait to see more :)