PDA

View Full Version : South Portland Headlight in Fog & Rough Seas

Grady Weed
02-18-2008, 07:12 PM
Today was a real cold, blustery, wet and bone chilling day. I found 7 Harlequin Ducks, 1 Red Breasted Merganser, a Hooded Merganser and 1 King Eider. All of the mentioned ducks were at dyer Point in Cape Elizabeth Maine, out in open water, the roughest parts. I crept closer every few minutes and they went further out. So I packed up my bags and went to the headlight for this image. Then afterwords I dropped the 5D and broke the double bubble, scratched the case some, but all works. I could have had a stroke. But all in all it was a good day!

Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 2/18/2008 13:14:11, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/15Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +2/3, ISO 100, Lens EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length 35.0 mm, Image size 4368 x 2912, Image Quality RAW, Flash Off, White Balance Auto, AF mode One-Shot AF, Picture Style Standard. From tripod with cable release. What do you like? Let me know. All comments welcome.

Harold Davis
02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
i love the composition alot. the whole scene works for me.

i played with the light and contrast and USM a little. tell me what you think.

wished this one was mine.

Alfred Forns
02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
Beautiful Grady Love the mood Wish I could be seeing more to the right Ocean is very strong and appealing Maybe a wider lens an copping top and bottom?

I like the local enhancements by Harold Subtle but so enhancing !!!

Robert Amoruso
02-19-2008, 02:38 PM
I agree with Harold's enhancements - really add to the image and Alfred is on target with wanting to see a wider view. In a case like this make more then one composition - the one you did, a wider view for pano later or a set of images to stitch.

Excellent work as the elements balance out nicely. It really conveys the feeling of a cold, harsh environment.

Grady Weed
02-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Sometimes storms like this bring up debris into the frame, lobster traps, rope etc. I was cropping in the frame as to avoid that. Hence the more narrow view. I was using the 28-135, the lens I would like to have is bit down the road. I know what you mean as to the wider view. Just was not possible in winter with the ice on the rocks. I usually climb down on the rocks after jumping the fence. But in winter with ice, bad idea. Thanks for your comments here.

Anita Rakestraw
02-20-2008, 04:18 AM
Classically beautiful, Grady! Fog, lighthouse, ocean, what more could one want? Lovely subtle colors....You're very motivated to stay out as long as it sounds like you did, in that weather! So sorry about the camera, but as long as it still works....!