PDA

View Full Version : Unsure

Bob Decker
12-31-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm really not sure what to do with this one, or if it's even worth the effort. I like the detail and sharpness in the GBH. I also like how the low setting sun filtering through the trees almost put his head in a spotlight. But the environment seems very distracting to me. I tried a portrait photography trick by adding a vignette and blur around the bird to help isolate the subject and did some additional burning of the highlights. 40D, Bigma @ 500mm, iso 800, f/9.0, 1/200, carbon fiber tripod with side-mount gimbal with camera position near subject level. Thoughts... suggestions?

Jackie Schuknecht
12-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Bob, I think this is well worth working on, I tried more of a vignette and a bit more sharpening around the head. Also, a bit more room around the bird would be nice, especially on the left.

William Malacarne
12-31-2009, 11:49 AM
Bob

I like it, as Jackie says maybe more room for him to look into, and maybe desat the whites some on the head.

Nonda Surratt
12-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Its sharp in habitat and certainly worth the effort. Would tone down the white on the face, maybe the whole head.

Gerri Levine
12-31-2009, 01:01 PM
He's beautiful and I like having seeing the birds in their natural settings, except if it's a really tight shot. Anyway, I agree with most of the above comments. Mostly, just tone down the whites in the head.

Bob Decker
12-31-2009, 01:54 PM
Based on the above comments I reduced the brightness in the whites on his head, increased room on the LH side (all I have in the original image), did some selective sharpening to the head and went heavier with the vignette/blur action. Yes... no... maybe?

Jackie Schuknecht
12-31-2009, 01:58 PM
I think it looks good but would back off on the vignetting a bit.

Gus Cobos
12-31-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi Bob,
The repost is much better, I like it very much...wishing you and your family a Happy New Year...:cool:

Lance Peters
12-31-2009, 04:52 PM
Hi Bob - repost looks much better - can see some details in those whites. Looks sharp, Good HA and eye contact - the habitat does not bother me - its part of the story.
Good show.
Keep em coming :)

Anita Rakestraw
12-31-2009, 06:41 PM
I like the repost, Bob, almost looks like a spotlight on him and that really minimizes the background. Good redo!