PDA

View Full Version : Barred Owl

Jackie Schuknecht
12-31-2009, 09:39 AM
Another one from the workshop with Ray Barlow. Taken on a very foggy morning.
Slight crop.
500mm
f 5.6
ISO 200 AV Eval +1/3
1/60s
Tripod
Tried to add more contrast to this one.
Comments Appreciated.

Allen Sparks
12-31-2009, 09:52 AM
Very nice image - love the foggy feel. This image portrays the forest surroundings well although I would like to see more of the forest to the left of the bird.

Peter Farrell
12-31-2009, 11:23 AM
I do like the mood that fog creates in an image. I prefer to see some ground, water, tree line, in a fog image.
With out that I feel it just makes the image soft. But I may be alone in that opinion.
I do like your photo very much but, I would probably have tried to lighten it some.
Hope you don't mind my re-post
Peter

http://i440.photobucket.com/albums/qq128/peterf/Barred-Owl-Vert-PF.jpg

Jackie Schuknecht
12-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the repost Peter, I don't mind the repost or suggestions, I guess I am in the minority and like it with more of the fog apparent. Seems to capture the day more accurately, but just my take.

Peter Farrell
12-31-2009, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the repost Peter, I don't mind the repost or suggestions, I guess I am in the minority and like it with more of the fog apparent. Seems to capture the day more accurately, but just my take.

Jackie,
I have only been on this site for a couple of weeks; In my experience thus far it is ME who is usually in the minority.http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif
Peter

Jim Buescher
12-31-2009, 12:02 PM
The repost works well as a stand-alone image but the OP captures the feel and look of what was there. For me, seeing an animal in the early morning fog is a magical experience and should be accurately portrayed as originally seen. Take away the fog and you diminish the mood and feel of the image...Comp. looks good to me.

denise ippolito
12-31-2009, 12:26 PM
Jackie, I don't mind the fog it has a nice mood. I like the pose with the feathers sort of to the side. This is a nice habitat image IMO.

Juan Carlos Vindas
12-31-2009, 10:05 PM
Very nice owl Julie! this time I will go with the repost since the bird is more clear. Just my opinion.

Tony Whitehead
01-01-2010, 03:26 AM
I like the mood and comp in this image, Jackie. I'm sure your presentation captures the feel of the moment but I agree with Peter that the fog makes the image look flat. I have tried a version applying an auto contrast adjustment layer and then just masking it at a moderate opacity to the near elements to try and retain the foggy feel and push the BG further back to add some depth to the image

Jackie Schuknecht
01-01-2010, 08:04 AM
Thanks for the comments everyone. Tony I do like your rework, I will go back and try another edit. Does retain the foggy look and gives it some nice depth IMO.