PDA

View Full Version : They look very sharp

Harshad Barve
12-31-2009, 09:33 AM
Dear all

Now it is almost six months I have not visited my favourite Tigguland ( Some people call it bandhavgarh:D).
For some reasons I have to cancel my Oct and Dec visits and now I am eager to see & meet my friends. Again I have a plan to visit tigguland in first week of Jan and I have kept my fingers crossed as I am in midway of one project

Made this in early morning with very little light and this 2 year subadult male was sitting in center of road with his brother causing sweet Road block

D300 , 600mm, 1/50 .f7.1,ISO 200 , beanbag
All C & C are welcome & much appreciated
Harshad

John Ippolito
12-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Lovely image of this handsome young tiger, Harshad. A perfect yawn. Was this with the 600? TFS.

scott benson
12-31-2009, 01:19 PM
cracking shot, very well caught.

Steve Kaluski
12-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Harshad this is spookie, will post something soon, spot the likeness;)

BTW I guess he will grow into his paws:D

Steve

David Fletcher
12-31-2009, 03:09 PM
Love your Tiger shots Harshadbhai. Nailed. Blessings for 2010.

Mike Fuhr
12-31-2009, 05:10 PM
I bet they would feel even sharper than they look! :eek: Don't find out, Harshadbhai!

Dave Phillips
12-31-2009, 05:30 PM
another beautiful tiger image sir.
David Thomasson recently posted a little trick that would be very effective here.
Flatten the tone curve on the BG only, thus reducin bg contrast. No alteration was done to the tiger
(I don't think this is too much altered for your preference to stay true).....thanks for sharing

edit: I quick masked out the tiger and exited quick mask leaving the bg as the selection
and then the curve was applied. The above is confusing as it is two separate screen shots

Harshad Barve
12-31-2009, 07:55 PM
John , yes 600mm, missed in OP now added

Dave , thanks for wonderful tip:)

Ken Watkins
01-01-2010, 05:50 AM
Harshad,

I have one rather picky nit, the tyre tracks.

Dave that is an interesting tip, thanks.

Steve Kaluski
01-01-2010, 07:06 AM
The tyre tracks don't really bother me, as it is part of the image. Tigers will use the road because it's soft on their paws and make no noise as they walk, element of surprise. ;)

So personally, my vote is on retaining the tyre marks:)

Harshad Barve
01-01-2010, 07:23 AM
The tyre tracks don't really bother me, as it is part of the image. Tigers will use the road because it's soft on their paws and make no noise as they walk, element of surprise. ;)

So personally, my vote is on retaining the tyre marks:)

Awesome observation and very well said

Arthur Morris
01-01-2010, 02:01 PM
David Thomasson recently posted a little trick that would be very effective here.
Flatten the tone curve on the BG only, thus reducing bg contrast. No alteration was done to the tiger
(I don't think this is too much altered for your preference to stay true).....thanks for sharing

Hey Dave, I am a bit confused. Was the BKGR selected first??? If yes, how? I am asking because of the cool result with the BKGR appearing less sharp with the reduced contrast.

Arthur Morris
01-01-2010, 02:02 PM
Harshad-bhai, A wonderfully framed capture of a great yawn. In an ideal world you would he been able to lie right on the road with the tiger. Then you would not have had to worry about the tire tracks!

Arthur Morris
01-01-2010, 02:04 PM
In Mike's post above the word "Harshadbhai" is used. For some reason my mind read "Haberdasher." Do you know what a haberdasher is?

Dave Phillips
01-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Hey Dave, I am a bit confused. Was the BKGR selected first??? If yes, how? I am asking because of the cool result with the BKGR appearing less sharp with the reduced contrast.

Artie, what I did was just quick mask the tiger and flatten the curve on the bg(A trick recently
posted by David Thomasson). You know from experience that sometimes contrast will give
the illusion of sharpness, something we do not want in a bg like this......the tiger is so much
better isolated, neat little trick!!

Arthur Morris
01-01-2010, 02:36 PM
So you QMed out the tiger. (I have my QM set up to paint the mask but no big deal.) I follow the rest and agree. I will try it with my recently posted Horned Lark image to reduce the sharpness and impact of the foreground rock.

Both you and David are huge assets here so please accept my heartfelt thanks.

Dave Phillips
01-01-2010, 03:19 PM
So you QMed out the tiger. (I have my QM set up to paint the mask but no big deal.) I follow the rest and agree. I will try it with my recently posted Horned Lark image to reduce the sharpness and impact of the foreground rock.

Both you and David are huge assets here so please accept my heartfelt thanks.
thank you sir.....you can paint the mask, then just invert the selection for bg. Once converted
do the curves adjustment

David Fletcher
01-01-2010, 04:44 PM
In Mike's post above the word "Harshadbhai" is used. For some reason my mind read "Haberdasher." Do you know what a haberdasher is?

Oh my!!! He, he. Best for 2010. Dave, great work, and thanks for sharing. Seems we are herd beasts... many, many eyes fixes the issues..... D

Arthur Morris
01-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Flatten the tone curve on the BG only, thus reducin bg contrast. No alteration was done to the tiger

Hey Dave, One final question: when you lift the curve as you did in the screen capture are you not simply lightening the whole image--more so the dark tones--rather than reducing the contrast???

Dave Phillips
01-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Hey Dave, One final question: when you lift the curve as you did in the screen capture are you not simply lightening the whole image--more so the dark tones--rather than reducing the contrast???

as long as the bg is all that is selected from the quick mask(or the inverse thereof) then
any and all adjustments will only affect the bg. As long as the curve is flat and linear,
lowering the right reduces light from that end. Raising the curve from the left lightens the
shadows from that end. The subject remains unaltered .............................AFAIK

edit: Regarding my image above, I can see that it may be confusing.
I quick masked out the tiger and exited quick mask leaving the bg as the selection
and then the curve was applied. The above is confusing as it is two separate screen shots

Check your email....

Harshad Barve
01-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Dave & Guruji
Thanks a ton for wonderful discussion here , so much to learn

Harshad Barve
01-01-2010, 08:29 PM
In an ideal world you would he been able to lie right on the road with the tiger. Then you would not have had to worry about the tire tracks!

I know tigers , they are gentlemen but I am not that brave:p:eek: