PDA

View Full Version : How's the Venice rookery right now?

Van Hilliard
12-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I'm thinking of going tomorrow morning (Thursday, Dec. 31). How's the activity? I haven't been there in December in a couple of years.

Adams Serra
12-30-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Van,
I was there two weeks ago and the place was slow, only GBHs.

Van Hilliard
12-31-2009, 05:31 AM
Hi Van,
I was there two weeks ago and the place was slow, only GBHs.

Thanks. Maybe I'll wait a couple of weeks. I'll do something else today.

Roger Clark
01-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Venice Rookery this morning (Jan 7): slow. 5 GBH nests, a few great egret nests inside the bushes/hard to see. Most bids flew off just before sunrise leaving those on the nests hunkered down. Lots of frost on the grass.

Roger

Adams Serra
01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Thank you for the up date Roger.

Roger Clark
01-11-2010, 11:00 PM
Venice rookery this morning (Jan 11) was much better, but it felt colder than a month ago in Bosque del Apache when it was 9 F in the morning. Higher temps here in Florida, but the humidity and the wind it felt colder!

I counted 6 GBH nests and saw cute little GBH chicks in one, but it is hard to get photographically. A little flight action and some GBH mating this morning.

This afternoon was quite nice: lots of flight action (got a great great egret fight too). Lots of GBH, great egret, white ibis, and other birds. Even a brown pelican. The evening fly-in was pretty impressive. My 5d2 with 500 f/4 did quite well.

Some dead bushes in front of the island will post some challenges for clean photos.

Roger