PDA

View Full Version : Black rhino charge ,B&W conversion

peter delaney
12-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Nikon D3 200-400mm lens 1/1000 f4 1000 iso

Another frame from my black rhino charge , this was the last frame at 200mm before it was way to close . Decided on square format not everyone s cup of tea. cropped from top and RHS.

Steve Kaluski
12-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Peter, a really good image, full of IMPACT:D

It's always easy to comment after the event, but would like to have seen a landscape crop, but I know why you went for portrait. Not a huge fan of square compositions. ;)

Good detail, but for me having the one behind is a real bonus and added to the image. A slower shutter might have given the image a little more 'dramatics' by blurring the feet slightly rather than freezing the Rhino and at f/4 still retaining the detail where it counts. It's very easy to comment after, rather than being there.

This is still a very good image.

Steve

Ken Watkins
12-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Very good Peter, I do not mind the crop and get the sense of movement from the raised feet.

I would like to see this having only been chased from behind, we turned a corner and startled it , the driver drove off as fast as he could, probably sensible.

Charles Glatzer
12-30-2009, 12:26 PM
Peter,

This is wonderful as presented. Composition, square or otherwise has but one goal, to focus viewer attention on the subject. Why some photographers choose to pigeonhole themselves is beyond me. I shot Hassy's for much of my career, images ending up in print square, vert, horz, oval, and a few even circular.

Best,

Chas

Kurt Bowman
12-30-2009, 04:35 PM
Love it! Like the action, detail, comp and nice B&W conversion.

Alfred Forns
12-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Love this image Peter !!!

Not a fan of nature B&W images since most do not work but this works in a big way !!! High impact ...Big Congrats !!!

Sabyasachi Patra
12-31-2009, 04:45 AM
This is a terrific image. The feet on the air generates lot of impact. In this case the square format works. I like the black and white conversion. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

David Fletcher
12-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Brilliant shot Peter. Nailed it in all respects. Man I would have loved to have been that close. Top stuff. happy New Year.

Elmar Venter
01-01-2010, 03:17 AM
Well done Peter on standing your ground during the charge. This is a super image, great action and the little one following mother puts it over the top. Excellent.

Chris van Rooyen
01-01-2010, 08:54 AM
Hmmmm... excellent image, fantastic action. B&W works very well, accentuates the textures. Congratulations on a super image:)

Arthur Morris
01-01-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Peter, This one works very well for me too. The B&W, the SQ crop, and the perfect framing of the two animals. I am late to the party; what was the outcome???

peter delaney
01-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Thank you all for your comments.

Hi Steve , The chances that I will ever get charged by two black rhino again and survive are very slim . When the charge started the main thing on my mind was to get low , get a sharp image and oh not to"panic".
Yes I agree a bit of blur in the feet would help to accentuate the feel of motion but I was not prepared to take the gamble with a once in a life time chance of capturing this scene.

Charles , agree totally with your view point on square format.

Alfred , agree about very few subjects work in B&W...

Dave , it was a big adrenalin rush ...time you came to visit here in SA !!

Thanks ,Ken, Saby,Elmar,kurt and Mr van Rooyen:) appreciated very much your comments...

Hi Arthur , thanks for taking time to comment, I have copied the details of the charge below from an earlier post.

It is not every day that I get charged by 2 black rhino all be it one a baby... Totally unprovoked. We were photographing a pride of lions early morning , when one of the younger lionesses spotted the two rhino in the distance feeding....
We expected her to go and take a look as young lionesses are very curious. So preempting her we did a wide loop so we could watch the interaction. Stopping a 100 mtrs away from both subjects. We watched the young cat approach ... when all of a sudden the rhino charged us...we were so busy shooting as they ran at us that we nearly forgot the danger we were in... 10 mts or so from the vehicle the ranger/ guide began shouting and hitting his door furiously... the rhinos pulled up 5 mts short in a cloud of dust...and veered off in a different direction.. much to our relief...

Arthur Morris
01-02-2010, 04:09 PM
Thanks for the details Peter. Where did the fun occur? May I assume that it was legal for you to be out of the vehicle there?

John Ippolito
01-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Powerful, graphic image. I can offer no suggestions for improvement. Excellent work!

peter delaney
01-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Hi Arthur,
The image was taken at Madikwe game reserve ,I stayed at Madikwe safari lodge. The reserve is a non self drive reserve. So guests are driven in an open 4x4 by there respective lodge . Yes.. you are allowed to walk in the reserve with a ranger under certain rules and conditions. This image was taken from a open 4x4 I was crouching on floor using the side of vehicle to balance lens on... the rhinos were on slight rise running down towards us.

Thanks John for kind words..

Arthur Morris
01-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Thanks Peter. Sounds exciting! Keep up the great work.