PDA

View Full Version : Grey Plover in Knot Roost

Tom_W
01-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Grey Plover in Knot Roost

3:1 crop of FF.
600mm/Tpod
1~10th/800ASA/F4
USM applied universally which actually makes the unsharp Knot even more unsharp :-)

Taken at Snettisham pits this October just before sunrise (hence the ASA) on what was a drab cold morning. This poor bird was alone admist 10000's of knot that where moving around constantly - it was rock still.

The birds come into the pits looking to get away from the highest spring tides; there where about 30000 knot in the pit and they all left at the same time as a sparrow hawk flew over - pity I had a 600mm on the camera http://www.naturephotographers.net/imagecritique/smileys/icon_wink.gif

T

Fabs Forns
01-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Hi and big welcome, Tom!

I like this very much, the repetitive pattern of the bills as background and the isolated Plover, well placed, make for a very appealing image. If anything, I would tone down the sharpening on the Plover a bit, since the whites seem almost fluorescent.

Good eye to see and execute this!

Alfred Forns
01-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Other than toning down as Fabs suggested I like it all Very different image and I like the colors tones as presented They complement the mood !!! Big Congrats !!!!

Jody Melanson
01-02-2008, 07:35 PM
This is very cool! I love the cool feel to this.

Linda Robbins
01-02-2008, 07:59 PM
This is a remarkable photograph. Good execution of a unique situation, and the resulting image evokes an emotional response on different levels. Amazing that the plover stayed perfectly still while all the red knots were moving. I agree with Fabs' suggestion about less sharpening on the plover.

Linda

Glenn Bartley
01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
This is such a cool shot! Great vision in executing this and well composed as a pano.

Cant wait to see more :)

Peregrine Craig Nash
01-03-2008, 06:28 AM
I think this is the best photograph on the site to date.