PDA

View Full Version : The evening Stag........

Tom Dolezal
12-30-2009, 09:31 AM
....... overlooking the loch

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Wildlife/_V2C6695.jpg

From a Autumn visit to NW Scotland for the rutting season - hence the foliage hanging from the antler. Whilst some would be inclined to clone that out, I left it in as gives a feel for the rut.

Technical: Canon 1D MK 3, Canon 500 f/4 IS, f/5.6, 1/640, 0 EV, ISO 800, AV mode, handheld

C&C always welcome.

Thank you for looking.

Alfred Forns
12-30-2009, 07:03 PM
Hi Tom I'm fine with the foliage and agree with you !! Love the setting and slanting foreground .. and got him calling !!!

Good looking bg and would try one version with the animal all black? Might look interesting !!! Mighty fine Big Congrats !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
12-30-2009, 10:15 PM
I like the pose and agree that it might also work as silhouette. I would remove the little branch on the antler.

Ken Watkins
12-31-2009, 02:06 AM
I like this a lot, it has what I can only describe as mood.
No problems for me with the twigs.
A silhouette might be interesting.

David Fletcher
12-31-2009, 02:58 PM
Interesting shot and interesting how we all have differing inputs Tom. No rights or wrongs. Love the comp. Feel the sea as a bg is a tad noisy and worth some nr. Twig. leave for me as adding context. Nicely done. HNY

Tom Dolezal
12-31-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi Tom I'm fine with the foliage and agree with you !! Love the setting and slanting foreground .. and got him calling !!!

Good looking bg and would try one version with the animal all black? Might look interesting !!! Mighty fine Big Congrats !!!

Thank you Alfred for your kind comments and suggestion. Tried having a all black Stag but didn't work but came up with this edit:

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/erding/Wildlife/_V2C6695-2.jpg

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-31-2009, 03:07 PM
I like the pose and agree that it might also work as silhouette. I would remove the little branch on the antler.

Thank you for your comments and suggestion Axel - hope you like the edit.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-31-2009, 03:08 PM
I like this a lot, it has what I can only describe as mood.
No problems for me with the twigs.
A silhouette might be interesting.

Thank you Ken - glad you like it and hope you like the edit.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
Interesting shot and interesting how we all have differing inputs Tom. No rights or wrongs. Love the comp. Feel the sea as a bg is a tad noisy and worth some nr. Twig. leave for me as adding context. Nicely done. HNY

Thanks for your input Dave. Agree with you how a images's interpretation is always going to be subjective and down to individual taste. Its a loch in the bg not sea but will look at the nr idea but it doesn't worry me.

Tom

Jamie Douglas
12-31-2009, 04:37 PM
You really caught the atmosphere in this photo more than most will realise. I am from Scotland and only recently emmigrated to Canada. This photo gives me a real sense of the moment with the loch in the bg.

I do like the B&W version and thanks for sharing.

Alfred Forns
12-31-2009, 06:40 PM
I like them both Tom ... totally different images Neat !!!

Ken Watkins
01-01-2010, 01:48 AM
Tom,

I like the 2nd post as well, reducing the BG intensity gives an entirely different feel. It never ceases to amaze me how the choice of processing can change an image, it is now a major part of the photographers art.

Thankfully there is this site to help you through the almost infinite choices.

Tom Dolezal
01-01-2010, 01:56 PM
You really caught the atmosphere in this photo more than most will realise. I am from Scotland and only recently emmigrated to Canada. This photo gives me a real sense of the moment with the loch in the bg.

I do like the B&W version and thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your kind words Jamie - much appreciated and glad it brought some memories back for you.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
01-01-2010, 01:57 PM
I like them both Tom ... totally different images Neat !!!

Thanks for popping back Alfred and commenting again - much appreciated.

Tom

Tom Dolezal
01-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Tom,

I like the 2nd post as well, reducing the BG intensity gives an entirely different feel. It never ceases to amaze me how the choice of processing can change an image, it is now a major part of the photographers art.

Thankfully there is this site to help you through the almost infinite choices.

Thank you Ken for also popping back. I always find it interesting how different eyes see the same image differently and thus I find it a great help.

Tom