Canon EOS REBEL XT
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/400"
F10.0
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
ISO:200
Photoshop CS3

My favorite dragonfly species for shooting macro. In this case, I actually had to back off a bit because I got too close for the 100mm to focus.

It's cold here now so no bugs to photograph. This is a rework of a shot from 2007.

Peter Farrell
12-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Fantastic detail and colors. I also like the perch.
Peter

Allen Sparks
12-30-2009, 10:25 AM
great close-up. Blue Dashers will sometimes let you really get up close and personal. fantastic details on the compound eyes. I might try lightening the image a bit and see how that looked. As Peter said, I like the perch and legs in the lower foreground too.

Julie Kenward
12-30-2009, 12:41 PM
That is one "in your face" image! I like the tight composition and the fact that you included the legs and perch in such a small space. The eyes and face have great detail as well. I'm on an uncalibrated monitor right now but the image does look to be rather dark overall - if that's the case I'd think about doing a slight shadows/highlight adjustment to see if more details can be brought out while still keeping that dramatic feel of the image.

Ken Childs
12-30-2009, 03:44 PM
I'm on an uncalibrated monitor right now but the image does look to be rather dark overall - if that's the case I'd think about doing a slight shadows/highlight adjustment to see if more details can be brought out while still keeping that dramatic feel of the image.
I don't think it's your monitor. I tend to go toward the dark side with some flower and macro shots which fits my tastes but may not work for others. The main reason I'm here it to get opinions from people "in the know" so my shots and edits will end up having a more widespread appeal.

Thanks.