PDA

View Full Version : D3s Multiple Exposure setting

Marc Katz
12-30-2009, 07:09 AM
I am trying to understand the Multiple Exposure setting in the D3s Shooting menu. I am wondering if this is a way to do in camera HDR shots. However, I am not sure what "auto gain" is. Manual states (p202) that "Multiple exposure can..........produce results with colors noticeably better than photographs combined in an imaging application because they make use of RAW data from the camera image sensor."
My question is: What parameter does Auto Gain vary?

Thanks

Marc

Fabs Forns
12-31-2009, 08:58 AM
Hi Marc, multiple EXp is not for HDR, it is to take multiples as to create artistic painterly picures. The camera calculates the EXP needed divided by the number of frames. Auto gain means that if you decide to do less images than originally planned, the camera will recalculate EXP.
For HDR, you use the bracket function. D3 will only allow one stop difference but you can do as many as 7 if my memory serves me right. I usually bracketed manually. You need your histogram to have no clipped blacks on your lighter image and no clipped whites on the darkest.
Hope this helps.
Here's an example of an in-camera multiple:

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48263

Marc Katz
12-31-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I have done HDRs with Photomatix, but have not yet ventured into the world of multiple exposures. Great image and reference.

Thanks

Marc