PDA

View Full Version : Gull Investigating Possible Meal

BillTyler
12-29-2009, 07:55 PM
This gull took a single peck at the dead bird, then walked on. I like the dead black look in its eye. It fits the ghoulish behavior.

Canon 50D
Canon 500mm f/4 IS with 1.4X extender
1/500 f/7.1
ISO 800

Bill

David Stephens
12-29-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm a noob, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

I was recently looking at a bear, bloodyly eating a salmon and the focus was on the eye of the dead fish. In that context, this image is also fitting in a "nature" forum or photo lineup. Still, give the unrecognizable form of the dead bird (without your description) it is not clear what's going on here by simply looking a the image. In the bear image that I referred to, there's no doubt what's going on. The need to explain weakins this image.

I think it'd be useful to brighten the eye of the live gull and bring up his undershadows just a knotch or two.

Nonda Surratt
12-30-2009, 03:35 PM
Bill,

To me it is pretty obvious its a bird, but what kind;) Kidding. You have some nice detail in the feathers of the gull and good head position and DOF..But I don't think dull, black eyes work. The image looks like it could use some umph, overcast skies maybe? Might try to lighten the image a bit and bump up the contrast.

Interesting behavior image

Gus Cobos
12-30-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi Bill,
I like the captured action depicted here. The bird is a tad tight in frame for my taste, It also looks a little on the flat side. I would suggest opening up the area around the eye, and selective sharpening it. Would also set a black and white point. It needs a little saturation and contrast boost...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

BillTyler
01-01-2010, 04:45 PM
Following some of Gus' useful suggestions, I've lightened and sharpened the eye, changed color balance a bit, and played a bit with curves.

Bill

BillTyler
01-01-2010, 04:51 PM
Couldn't seem to get the image attached. Perhaps this one will work.

Following some of Gus' useful suggestions, I've lightened and sharpened the eye, changed color balance a bit, and played a bit with curves.

Bill