PDA

View Full Version : White Pocket #2

Richard Waas
12-29-2009, 07:08 PM
I photographed this image at White Pocket, Arizona at sunrise with my Canon 5D MKII on tripod. The swirling rock in different colors look like another world. There are more to come.... ISO 200, f/22.0, 1/125 sec, EF16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, 35mm, Evaluative Metering, Auto Exposure, Auto WB, No Flash. Comments Welcome.....

Gus Cobos
12-29-2009, 07:28 PM
Hi Mr. Waas,
I like the composition, image and capture...the colors and tonal quality are superb. Did you use a gradient filter for the sky in post processing? Or a graduated ND filter on camera? :cool:

Anita Rakestraw
12-29-2009, 07:42 PM
Richard, another beauty!! Can't find a thing wrong, for sure! I love the way you composed it, with the expanse of lines/textures in the foreground leading up to the peaks (?) which continue to be full of lines and texture. Great detail all the way through. Did you use HDR method on this?

Richard Waas
12-29-2009, 10:23 PM
This is not an HDR. Also I did not use a graduated ND either on camera or in PS. We hiked up the mountain and I think we were at around 6500 feet. The sky really does look blue.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Richard, love the natural look of the single image, you paid your dues to get this one buddy - congrats.

Is White Pocket a city and I assume this is a challenging hike?

Lance Peters
12-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Cool - love the colours and the patterns - The hike paid off richard.
Looking forward to seeing more :)

Richard Waas
12-29-2009, 11:51 PM
White Pocket is a mountain in Utah outside of Page Arizona.

BillTyler
12-30-2009, 01:57 AM
This is a very fine image. I like the way the lines of the foreground rock lead up to the subject. I wonder if a slightly lower viewpoint might also have worked. Looking at the left-side horizon, the irregular line of the rock descending from the peak is broken by the flat land in the far distance. A lower or slightly different viewpoint might have allowed the nice irregular line of the rock to continue showing against sky all the way to the left edge.

Bill