PDA

View Full Version : Common Loon

Myer Bornstein
12-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Taken at Sachuest NWR Middletown RI with Nikon D300 80-400 Lens @ 400 mm f10 1/640 sec ISI 640 -1/3 EV
Cloudy day Cropped

Myer

Randy Stout
12-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Myer:

I think the image could be presented a bit brighter. I tried a version with 3/4 more stops of exposure and cropped it a bit. Just an option. I think the total amount of cropping (yours and mine) is starting to hurt the image quality a bit, but he seemed too small in the frame. Just a matter of opinion.

I like that you can see the left leg under the water. The head could be angled a couple of more degrees back towards us.

Cheers

Randy

Myer Bornstein
12-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Randy
I like the water as you made it, but the loon to me needs to be darker. I will play around with the Raw image some more. I did not crop as much as you did in order to leave the sense of the bird swimming away
Thanks for you comments
Myer

Hilary Hann
12-29-2009, 11:30 PM
Myer, I think that the cloudy day really worked against you in this image as it has made things quite dull which is hard to overcome. I also agree that the amount of cropping needed is not helping the quality of the loon which is a shame. Like seeing the left leg under the water.