PDA

View Full Version : American Wigeon

Doug Brown
12-29-2009, 12:11 PM
There is a small pond in Albuquerque that draws in quite a few American Wigeons every winter; the pond is located at a major intersection, but the ducks don't seem to mind.

http://birdwhisperer.smugmug.com/Animals/Birds/BPN/20091219-MG5599-American/745150446_BL7b8-O-3.jpg

Canon 7D, 400mm, f/7.1, 1/2500, ISO 640, manual exposure, hand held

Axel Hildebrandt
12-29-2009, 12:13 PM
Cool pose, good sharpness and I also really like the BG. I would give it a bit more room at the top and some of the whites are overexposed.

Doug Brown
12-29-2009, 12:18 PM
On my desktop monitor the whites look perfect. On my laptop they look hot. Not sure what to do. The whites are definitely not overexposed in the PSD file.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-29-2009, 12:21 PM
On my desktop monitor the whites look perfect. On my laptop they look hot. Not sure what to do. The whites are definitely not overexposed in the PSD file.

I bet it is a sRGB conversion thing. Since most people use color-managed browsers by now, I wonder if leaving it as Adobe RGB will soon be standard. The image looks great in any case. :)

Mike Tracy
12-29-2009, 12:30 PM
The whites on the rump do look hot on my main monitor. Maybe just a tad more room urc. I wish I could see the eye better but his coloring probably doesn't lend itself to that. I like the background , pose and subject.

Tony Whitehead
12-29-2009, 03:44 PM
I bet it is a sRGB conversion thing. Since most people use color-managed browsers by now, I wonder if leaving it as Adobe RGB will soon be standard. The image looks great in any case. :)
I agree re the sRGB conversion as a potential culprit. I have started to leave a lot of images in Adobe RGB because I am tired of having to retune clipped tones that only appear with the conversion to sRGB.
Lovely duck, by the way, Doug. The colours work of BG and plumage work well and the iridescence is beautifully captured.

Doug Brown
12-29-2009, 04:25 PM
I agree re the sRGB conversion as a potential culprit. I have started to leave a lot of images in Adobe RGB because I am tired of having to retune clipped tones that only appear with the conversion to sRGB.

Interesting idea; so many of the people who view images on BPN use color-managed browsers. I wonder if there's a way to find out exactly what percentage of BPN participants do.

Interestingly, the JPEG doesn't look blown on my home monitor. When I first saw the image on my laptop, I reprocessed the image to tone down the whites. They now look tan on my home monitor and bright on my laptop.

Axel Hildebrandt
12-29-2009, 04:44 PM
Interesting idea; so many of the people who view images on BPN use color-managed browsers. I wonder if there's a way to find out exactly what percentage of BPN participants do.

Interestingly, the JPEG doesn't look blown on my home monitor. When I first saw the image on my laptop, I reprocessed the image to tone down the whites. They now look tan on my home monitor and bright on my laptop.

There was a browser survey a while ago and quite a significant number uses Firefox or Safari. It would be easy to figure out with Google Analytics.

Do you see different RGB values on your laptop v. desktop using the digital color meter? Could it be a calibration issue?

Kerry Perkins
12-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Hi Doug. Nice capture and image. I love the wings back, head forward position.

I use Firefox and Safari, both color managed, and my monitors are calibrated frequently. I don't see anything blown, which is confirmed by Digital Color Meter. There are some high values (over 250) in the red channel, but nothing that I can see is clipped. The colors look right to me, just on the reddish side of white for the underwing coverts.

arash_hazeghi
12-30-2009, 04:20 AM
Very nice wing position Doug, BG is very nice and light is good. the rump area looks a bit hot on my screen. I would make the eye a tad brighter.

Excellent work, TFS.

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-30-2009, 11:34 AM
Doug, loved the wing position and the BG. There is a pond close to my home( and close to a major intersection as well) that has a lot of wigeons in the winter. But they are extremely uncooperative :-( But I will keep trying...and hopefully get something close to this.