PDA

View Full Version : Ring Billed Gull

Dave Woeller
12-29-2009, 11:32 AM
I've been away for a while, but hope to get back into the swing of things here and learn some more. Caught this ring billed gull and was happy with the inflight shot. I think I would have liked a bit more room around the wingtips, but wanted to see what others thought. I adjusted the overall clarity and sharpened around the eye. I also dropped the brightness just a tad on the side of the body. All comments are always appreciated.

Canon 50D, 100-400 lens @ 370mm, 1/750 sec @ f8, AV mode, center weighted metering, ISO 100

Lance Peters
12-29-2009, 04:16 PM
Hi Dave - Mr gull is a little tight in the frame, more space all around for my personal tastes. You have a good HA and a clear sharp eye.
Looks like you had mixed light to deal with - body is nicely illuminated whilst the wings look quite dark. Im on the road at the moment so cant comment on colour - wondering if there is a slight colour cast.
Keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos
12-29-2009, 05:18 PM
Hi Dave,
I like the capture, you have a good head angle and good eye contact. Your gull is too tight in frame all the way around, would need to add canvas. I see a blue color cast and the eye is a tad soft, your whites on the chest area are running warm. Would recommend toning it down and correcting the color cast. Suggest opening up the mid-tones and setting your black and white points. The overall image is under exposed...its worth reworking...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Dave Woeller
12-29-2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks Lance and Gus. I'll go back in with your suggestions to see how much improvement I can get. Thanks again.