PDA

View Full Version : Robber Fly Kill

Asif Khan
12-29-2009, 09:54 AM
Attached Robber fly on kill shot at Dongping Forest Reserve. Shot using NIkon D200 and 105mm macro on aperture priority. All feedback / comments welcome. Cheers

Julie Kenward
12-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Asif, can we get some more data/stats from you please? What shutter speed and aperture did you use? Any flash? Tripod or handheld? Please include all applicable data from the camera and the post-processing so we can offer a thorough critique! (Posting guidelines are listed at the top of the forum on a sticky note!)

Allen Sparks
12-29-2009, 04:48 PM
Well, as Julie notes we don't know how you took it but I will say that I love the action captured in this shot. Great to see the Robber Fly doing its thing (poor bee!) including its mouth parts visibly going into the bee.

Danny J Brown
12-29-2009, 06:46 PM
Hi Asif: Very cool action shot here with some intense "goings on." A little centered for my taste but a great slice of nature. I'm wondering if it could take a hair more sharpening w/o messing up the critters?

Asif Khan
12-30-2009, 03:34 AM
Asif, can we get some more data/stats from you please? What shutter speed and aperture did you use? Any flash? Tripod or handheld? Please include all applicable data from the camera and the post-processing so we can offer a thorough critique! (Posting guidelines are listed at the top of the forum on a sticky note!)

Sorry Julie, I was away and was working from my laptop where i dont have the image with related meta-data. My home computer has that, I will provide details once am home and ensure future posts have the same. Cheers

Asif Khan
12-30-2009, 03:36 AM
Allen, Danny, thank you for your comments. Indeed the action was quite intense. I was able to capture another robber fly with a bee in a vertical position, but the action was hidden. I will post the other image later. Thanks again for your positive feedback.

Asif Khan
12-30-2009, 07:02 AM
All, here are the details:
Nikon D200, ISO 200, f/3.5, 1/250sec - shot in aperture priority using 105mm f/2.8 macro lens.
Almost 40%+ crop and basic exposure, contrast adjustments applied

Cheers

Peter Farrell
12-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Awsome detail and colors. Great capture of the act. A little too centered though.
Peter

Allen Sparks
12-30-2009, 10:34 AM
Asif, you may want to experiment with using flash and manual exposure to be able to narrow your aperture and increase DOF on a shot like this. I have had good results at f16, 1/200 using manual exposure and TTL flash. I like this shot as is but would have been tempted to use flash to increase DOF as well.
The full flash may also help to freeze the action.