PDA

View Full Version : Ice storm @ Mer bleue Bog.

Daniel Cadieux
12-29-2009, 05:54 AM
For the first time in ages I specifically went out for landsacpes only (what, no birds??). Well, when one wakes up after an ice storm has hit and everything is covered in ice what else is there to do but to take advantage of it!! I spent most of the morning driving country roads in search of beautiful scenery, but this one was at a local trail that I knew would yield terrific results. Funny thing is that for nearly four hours I encountered only one other photographer taking advantage of this awesome display. BTW, this is actual colours...no B/W conversion or selective colours done here.

Canon 40D + Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 @ 60mm, evaluative metering, aperture priority, 1/100s., f/10, ISO 640, +1.7 EC, natural light, hand held, full-frame.

Peter Farrell
12-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Beautiful image! I like the depth of the image, the BG trees seem to go on forever. The ice on the trees highlights the branches and adds to their definiton.
Our last ice storm we were without power for 10 days, but it did make for some great photo ops.
Peter

Dave Mills
12-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Hi Daniel,great mood along with some pleasing and subtle color. I played with some crops looking at taking out the small tree on left and the cut tree on right. That has some possibilities and also strengthens the dominant tree,bush and green tree on the right....I like the feel of the image very much....

John Ippolito
12-29-2009, 12:07 PM
I like the mood captured, and the composition with the taller tree on the right balancing the grey sky and adding depth. Agree with Dave's suggestion with the cut tree on the right and maybe just clone out the branches hanging above and left of the small broken tree in the LL corner which I rather like. Well done.

David Thomasson
12-29-2009, 01:31 PM
Beautiful! This would be a perfect image for the front of a Christmas card or just a note card.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/3636/frozen2.jpg

Robert Amoruso
12-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Daniel,

I love the look and feel to this image. I agree with Dave Mills, crop on the left and right to leave the edges open and without intrusion from other trees.

gary rouleau
12-29-2009, 07:08 PM
Wonderful feeling. Makes me wish I was back home in Quebec.
I would not crop anything out.
Cheers
Gary

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Awesome Daniel, love the image

Roman Kurywczak
12-29-2009, 09:01 PM
Hey Daniel,
This has a great mood and I really like the crop ...cleans it up nicely. As for Davids repost......nice idea but feel it's more appropriate for OOTB amd gets a bit close to the top of the main tree. Very nice capture!

David Thomasson
12-29-2009, 09:12 PM
Hey Daniel,
This has a great mood and I really like the crop ...cleans it up nicely. As for Davids repost......nice idea but feel it's more appropriate for OOTB amd gets a bit close to the top of the main tree. Very nice capture!

I agree about the top of the tree. If I were doing this as suggested, I would extend the canvas on top before painting in the vignette.

I wasn't offering this as an OOTB editing option but as a print option. Just wanted to give an idea how it might look on the face of a note card.

Daniel Cadieux
12-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys, glad you liked it!!

David, I love what you did and its true it would look great as a greeting card. Thanks!

Per-Gunnar Ostby
01-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Stunning shot

Gerald_Gilligan
01-07-2010, 12:31 AM
Nice image, I really like these scenes as the snow and mist really add to the mood here. The green tree just off center right really adds some interest for me.
Jerry