PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from China on BPN ?

Asif Khan
12-29-2009, 05:52 AM
Hello, Just wanted to know if there are any avian/wildlife photographers in this forum that are residing in China ? Would be glad to make pals and meet up. Cheers,

john j. henderson
12-29-2009, 10:37 PM
I work as wildlife photographer at Muraviovka Park on the Amur River, just across the border of China (in Russia)

Asif Khan
12-30-2009, 03:45 AM
Hi John, Thank you for getting in touch with me. I saw your pictures on photo.net and they are great. If you happen to come to China (around Shanghai) give drop me a private message. It would be great to meet up. Cheers

john j. henderson
12-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Asif;

I will be back in Russia in August 2010. Russia has new rule for visas-must leave country every 90 days. I will come to China two times a year. Would love to visit you and photograph in your country.

Please tell me more about what is around your area to photograph (birds and wildlife)

Asif Khan
12-30-2009, 08:10 AM
Hi John, Am originally from India but have been away in Singapore, Japan and China for a while. Am still discovering China and finding new places as we speak. It depends on what season you come..there are lot of places in China for shooting birds/wildlife. Following are some of the key places that I have heard of:

During winter (Oct to Feb)
- Poyang Hu Wetland, Jiangxi state (Migratory water birds from Siberia/North China)
- Yuanyang Lake, Jiangxi state (Migratory Mandarin Ducks)
- Yiyang, Wuyuan in Jiangxi state (Very rare Chinese Merganser - couldnt see any) - population of around 40+ birds
- Yancheng wetland in Jiangsu state (Migratory birds - esp. red crowned crane) - Am going there day after tomorrow for 3 days.
- Rongcheng lake, Shandong province (Whooper Swans from Siberia wintering here)

April / May
- Beidaihe, Hebei state (returning migratory birds hub)

During summer - Helongjiang province (bordering russia) also has many birds.

There are many other places in and around Yunnan, Sichuan, Tibet and Xinjiang states.

I havent gone to all these places yet, but plan to cover one at time over the years while am here.

Hope this help. We can certainly go together when you arrive here. Let me know when you are planning to come down to China and we can meet up.

Do keep in touch.

Cheers

hybeagle
12-31-2009, 03:30 PM
I have a casual question, what do you guys all do for a living to have so much free time traveling around the world ?

john j. henderson
01-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a casual question, what do you guys all do for a living to have so much free time traveling around the world ?

I am a wildlife photographer; making a limited income but enough for my life style.

Asif Khan
01-04-2010, 05:54 AM
I work for General Motors International Operations as Sales Operations Systems Strategist. I always wanted to become a full time wildlife photographer, but all sorts of circumstances/ family ambitions made me a regular professional. At times I regret the path chosen, but have continued my passion of photography as a hobby. I plan to switch to full time wildlife photography as a profession in the next few years once i get a break. As of now, I continue to spend all my weekends and 21 days annual vacation days on photography.

John, How did you get a break as professional ? Are you hired full time with someone or do you free lance ? Any guidance on how to get a break ?

john j. henderson
01-04-2010, 12:06 PM
John, How did you get a break as professional ? Are you hired full time with someone or do you free lance ? Any guidance on how to get a break ?

Asif;
I am sure some people get a break if someone notices their work and hires them; most of us make our own opportunities. I only freelance but do accept jobs on speculation provided I keep the rights to the images. I also work in an area that does not have a high concentration of photographers (Russia). This provides opportunities but also numerous problems. Most editors want images yesterday; when working in the back woods or the tundra, internet access can be days away. Therefore, most of my sales are handled by stock agencies that have high-quality tiffs and can complete the transaction with little interaction by me. I have prints at a couple galleries; I send them replacements or new stuff once or twice a year.

I also keep my expenses low. I paid off all my credit cards; have no regular bills; travel least expensive method and live in primative places. Sometimes, I live in a tent, back of a truck, etc. Most places I travel there is no hotel.

For example, next year I have planned a couple months in the northern Ural Mts (dividing Mt. range between Europe and Asia, Russia). I will work part-time at a nature park in exchange for free housing (basically a hut in the wilderness). I will also spend almost a year with the Reindeer north of the Arctic Circle. I will live and travel with Reindeer herders; working part time to help support the tribe.

Few would choose my lifestyle and I would never encourage anyone to adapt my way of life. I wanted to be a wildlife photographer, I gave up a high paying job as a scientist to live this life. I did not want to spend my life as a photography workshop leader (I do not have the skill set to deal with other photographers); I wanted to go to places others do not see.

All is not a bed of roses. I ran out of money a couple years ago because of all equipment was stolen. I returned to America to work as a scientist for a year and now I am ready to return full-time to Russia again as wildlife photographer. I could afford to live but not purchase a new set of equipment (roughly $35,000); hence returning to work for a year.

I only need to sell one or two images a month to pay for my room and board, travel, etc (roughly $300-500/month). I work closely with parks, museums, professors of universities, etc. These folks have contacts that permit me to go to places closed to others or go to places for less money. I once spent two months during winter (-20 to -40 degrees) at Moscow State University Biostation. This is a research facility but has summer cabins for children to visit the camp for summer camp. They allowed me to use one of the summer cabins but it had no heat or water (water was available in plentiful supply as snow using my little camp stove). You need excellent equipment (sleeping bags, camp equipment, etc) and the ability to adapt. It was free but difficult.

Number one good quality of a starting professional photographer, "flexibility".

I hope this answers your question.

Asif Khan
01-05-2010, 04:04 AM
Hi John, Thank you so much for your the detailed response. You are living a life that I had always dreamed of. In fact, I know couple of dreamers like me but there are very few like you who actually take the bold step and forego everything to live the dreams. And as you have described it is a very tough life living as a wildlife photographer - the hardships of the field and living a simple life. I am quite okay with the hardships as have gone through similar times while hiking / looking for wildlife for weeks, but the toughest change is being flexible with a simple lifestyle, especially when you have a family and planning for kids. I think my time has gone to pursue a full time career, but look forward to some part time engagement. I would like to be a part time wildlife photographer, where I can shoot on weekends and during the annual vacation days that I get. Would be great if you can help guide me and put me in touch (my email: akpixels@gmail.com) with some stock agencies who would be willing to accept to my work.

You have gone through incredible, exciting experiences...but sad to know that your gear got stolen and that you had to spend a year to buy a new one. I would like to remain in touch with you and be informed of your various experiences. If there is some site that where your work is published, do let me know. And finally, if you happen to come to Shanghai, I will be more than happy meet you. All the best for your next assignment. Take care.

Cheers

john j. henderson
01-05-2010, 06:36 AM
Asif, my website is www.visceralimage.net
I am working to get a blog added to the site so I can make regular updates.
I also had a family at one time; my children are now adults and I am no longer married; I have entertained marriage a couple times but choose to keep my freedom to live this life.
Stock Agencies: I looked at the magazines and books that best fit the style of my photography; then I looked at the agencies that sold to these mags/books. Then it was an easy step to research the agencies and see the criteria to get accepted (internet works for this). Many require submission of 50 or more images and review by committee. There are other agencies (Alamy) that accept anyone; there are some agencies that are like a coop (Mira/Creative Eye). Both are excellent options to get started.

I would love to shoot together in China. I will keep in touch and when I come to China, we can meet up. Maybe next winter we can meet and go photograph the Endangered Siberian Cranes.

Arthur Morris
01-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Hi Asif, Interesting stuff. I--along with my late wife Elaine--was a teacher in 1992 wanting to make the jump to being a pro. Everyone told me that we were nuts to give up our combined salary of over $100,000 annually plus great benefits and that I was nuts to think that I could make a living photographing birds. Well, they were wrong. :) I have been at it full time since 1993 and for the past five years BAA has grossed just under a million dollars annually (with two employees). I am living the dream. :) :)

Where are you from?

Harshad Barve
01-24-2010, 08:01 AM
for the past five years BAA has grossed just under a million dollars annually (with two employees). I am living the dream. :) :)

This is awesome Guruji

Arthur Morris
01-24-2010, 08:25 AM
This is awesome Guruji

Agree. Been lucky. Have worked very hard. Have no apologies :)

Asif Khan
01-25-2010, 01:11 AM
Hi Asif, Interesting stuff. I--along with my late wife Elaine--was a teacher in 1992 wanting to make the jump to being a pro. Everyone told me that we were nuts to give up our combined salary of over $100,000 annually plus great benefits and that I was nuts to think that I could make a living photographing birds. Well, they were wrong. :) I have been at it full time since 1993 and for the past five years BAA has grossed just under a million dollars annually (with two employees). I am living the dream. :) :)

Where are you from?

Wooww Artie ! You are amazing...indeed you are living the dream ! Leaving a well paid job and jumping into unknown is a risk that few take..you took it and proved the world wrong...But am sure that didnt come easy. I am originally from India, but based in Shanghai, China as of now. Though I will be settling full time in Australia in near future.

The biggest question i have is how one can make money of wildlife photography ? Any words of wisdom along that line woiuld help.

As of now my plan is to do part time photography (weekends / vacation time) while I am in China. Save some money and than when I move to Australia, become a full time photographer. While in China, I intend to market my work, by publishing some pictures in local magazines / newspapers or by publishing calendar's and park pamphlets. Also, I will try to sell stock images and apply for some photography contests etc...basically try to improve my photography skills and market myself and be known across. This will be a testing ground for me while I save money. I will move to Australia by the time I am 38 yrs old and I think probably that would be the time for me to move full time if possible.

Not sure if workable...but am sure going to keep on trying :) !

Thank you for sharing your story..it is very encouraging.

Cheers

Cheers
Asif

Arthur Morris
01-25-2010, 08:12 AM
Wooww Artie ! You are amazing...indeed you are living the dream ! Leaving a well paid job and jumping into unknown is a risk that few take..you took it and proved the world wrong...But am sure that didnt come easy. I am originally from India, but based in Shanghai, China as of now. Though I will be settling full time in Australia in near future.

The biggest question i have is how one can make money of wildlife photography? Any words of wisdom along that line woiuld help. As of now my plan is to do part time photography (weekends / vacation time) while I am in China. Save some money and than when I move to Australia, become a full time photographer. While in China, I intend to market my work, by publishing some pictures in local magazines / newspapers or by publishing calendar's and park pamphlets. Also, I will try to sell stock images and apply for some photography contests etc...basically try to improve my photography skills and market myself and be known across. This will be a testing ground for me while I save money. I will move to Australia by the time I am 38 yrs old and I think probably that would be the time for me to move full time if possible. Not sure if workable...but am sure going to keep on trying! Thank you for sharing your story..it is very encouraging. Cheers Asif

Hi Asif, Yes. Amazing. The basics of trying to sell some pics are covered in the original ABP (soft cover) in the Chapter on Editing and Selling Your Work. The basics have not changed. Other than that, I say often that every top professional, heck, everyone who makes some money from photography does so in different ways in different proportions. Mangelsen: galleries. Shaw: prints and education. Lanting: image sales and National Geo assignments. Wolfe: books, TV, and image sales. Sams and Stoick: print sales at shows and kid$s book$s. Gulin: stock sales-Corbis, Getty--and education. Morris: image sales, education, and mail order (not exactly in that order!)

So the answer is that you need to figure out what works for you and learn to adapt and to create new markets for your work.

I encourage folks including youngsters to go for it as you only live once. As I wrote in ABP I believe, the list of factors that determine the success or failure of nature photographers is a long one. And the quality of your images is a long way down the list.

Also recommended: A copy of John Shaw's Amphoto book: "The Business of Nature Photography" (or something like that).

Good luck.

john j. henderson
02-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Artie is an excellent example of a successful professional wildlife photographer. He does excellent photography, does workshops, writes books, provides seminars, sell products, etc.

I believe it is very important to look at yourself honestly and determine your desires and wants.

Are you good at teaching others, do you enjoy going to the same places year after year, do you have a family to support, do you market gear well, can you write, etc.

As Artie says, "the anser is that you need to figure out what works for you..."

For me, I want to forge a new path in a country formerly closed to almost all (Russia); I want to be out there taking photos most every day and going to new places; I like to stay at one location for extended periods; I do not like to teach or lead workshops; I am not excited about writing but I have an assistant that does my writing; I like the rough life of traveling with nomads or trying to adapt to difficult conditions.

To be successful at this profession, you need to be a good business person. It helps to think up articles and present these ideas to editors for future publication. For example, in the next two years I have excursions to photograph moose in the northern Ural Mts for an article, photograph reindeer north of Yakutia (Northern Siberia) for article and photograph the only private nature park in Russia for article.

I echo Artie;s comment: "Good Luck"