PDA

View Full Version : Gaur running

Sabyasachi Patra
12-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Scientific name: Bos Gaurus

Often mistakenly called as Indian Bison. This image is from my recent visits to a place where the Western Ghats and Eastern Ghats meet. The visit was more to document the place than just photography. Rich forests but there are lot of anthropogenic pressures on this area.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, ISO 400, f3.2, 1/1600, full frame image.

Look forward to your comments and critiques.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
12-29-2009, 03:51 AM
You do not see one of these moving fast very often, anybody chasing?

What a big beast this is, it is just a pity about the clipped hoof, colours and eye are spot on.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-29-2009, 03:56 AM
Ken,
Nobody was chasing them. We were in my SUV. I had parked it when we saw these gaurs. The got scared and immediately ran and crossed the road. I have seen this beheaviour in areas were poaching is prevalent. Infact, there is lot of poaching in this area.

Though they were hidden behind vegetation on the left side of the road, then ran to cross the road and move to the right, as the forests were dense on that side.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Ken Watkins
12-29-2009, 04:11 AM
Sabyasachi,
The people who poach these must be hungry, I presume firearms are used.
Poaching is a curse everywhere, but people are hungry everywhere, what can be done?

Sabyasachi Patra
12-29-2009, 04:26 AM
Ken,
This place was earlier the stronghold of a dreaded dacoit by the name Veerappan. Now he is dead. However, there is a Special Task Force camp in that area. This Task Force was formed to catch this dacoit. This camp in now used for jungle warfare training. Some of these people are known to have done poaching in the past.

There are a few villages in this area. The villages also poach not only for eating themselves but also for selling in the market in a clandestine manner. There are unlicensed fire arms. The forest department does some raids, but it is not sufficient. The legal status of this area has been raised. However, necessary funds has not flown in yet. The infrastructure of the forest department is poor. That needs to be upgraded. The villages need to be relocated to outside the park. I am preparing a document and would raise it to the authorities.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

David Fletcher
12-29-2009, 08:18 AM
Thanks for sharing this Sabyasachi and the information. Puts things in perspective.