PDA

View Full Version : Praying Mantis

Mike Landwehr
12-28-2009, 11:47 PM
This praying mantis flew onto our deck, and landed on a potted hibiscus plant. We rarely see these in Iowa, especially in town. The white siding on the house provided a background that made this high-key portrait a natural. Too bad I didn't have any colorful blooms for him to crawl up on! Cloned out an OOF twig, expanded cavass to the left, and cropped. All C&C welcomed!

1D Mark II N
100mm f/2.8 lens
1/30 sec at f/9
ISO 400
Tripod
No flash

Allen Sparks
12-29-2009, 08:23 AM
First, I love how you got pretty much the whole bug in focus on the same plane. I have a devil of a time doing that when I try to shoot one of these. I usually cut off one of the antennae too so kudos for catching the whole bug and getting a great head on look. I can't decide what I think about the sheer ultra white background...it sets the green bug off well but seems kind of unnatural. Overall a very nice shot I'd say.

Peter Farrell
12-29-2009, 09:23 AM
I really like this. A great pose with great eye contact. I agree that high-key as the way to go on the white bg.
Peter

Julie Kenward
12-29-2009, 12:36 PM
Nice dof here, Mike! I also think you had to go high key with this because of the siding but think it might look more "natural" if you converted the entire image to black and white.

I wish the leaf it was on had a bit more DOF, too, but you did a nice job on the clarity of the insect. You can tell the focus was right at the head area as it and the front legs are tack sharp.

Cindy Mead
01-04-2010, 05:27 PM
I always enjoy these prehistoric looking insects, and find their behavior fascinating. The high key bg really works well for me and everything is sharp where it needs to be. Really like 'the look' it seems to be giving you Mike. Very well done :)