PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help "Sandhill Cranes"

Mike Kuran
12-28-2009, 10:43 PM
I'm going to go and take some pictures of some sandhill cranes tomorrow I know this is short notice but we went to day and didn't have much luck! There were about 4000 cranes and it was cloudy and I have a D300 with a 600vr with a 1.4tc, I used ISO's starting at 1250 and got down to 400. I don't have anything I would really call a keeper either! I was in AV mode and Continous High, and was shooting between 10am to 2pm. I am using a full wimberly.

Can Anyone suggest any settings that I can try tomorrow? Tomorrow will be my last day to try to get a few shots of these guys. I can usually get within a 100 to 300 ft of them at times when there flying over. Thanks in advance didn't know where else to go last minute :(

Mike K

Desmond Chan
12-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I'm going to go and take some pictures of some sandhill cranes tomorrow I know this is short notice but we went to day and didn't have much luck! There were about 4000 cranes and it was cloudy and I have a D300 with a 600vr with a 1.4tc, I used ISO's starting at 1250 and got down to 400. I don't have anything I would really call a keeper either! I was in AV mode and Continous High, and was shooting between 10am to 2pm. I am using a full wimberly.

Can Anyone suggest any settings that I can try tomorrow? Tomorrow will be my last day to try to get a few shots of these guys. I can usually get within a 100 to 300 ft of them at times when there flying over. Thanks in advance didn't know where else to go last minute :(

Mike K

Mind showing sample pictures of what you mean?

Mike Kuran
12-29-2009, 06:26 AM
Thanks Des but at the time I wrote the msg I was still downloading pics and just looking at them in Bridge before heading off to bed. So I will just give it another shot today heading out :) wished I would have had time to put up a pic for yea :(

Mike K

Mike Kuran
12-29-2009, 06:35 AM
Sorry didn't have time to post a pic as I was still downloading them and quickly looking through them. But Were about ready to leave and if I get any thing decent I'll post a picture. Thanks anyway Mike K

Roger Clark
12-29-2009, 10:31 AM
and was shooting between 10am to 2pm.

Mike,

You might try sunrise to 9am and 3pm to sunset. The sun will be lower giving better lighting.

Roger