PDA

View Full Version : Ice is nice

Verena Meraldi
12-28-2009, 06:57 PM
I chose a Gentoo Penguin eating ice in Cuvervile Island, Antarctica as my second image to post... Look forward to your comments!

Nikon D300, Sigma 150-500mm 1:5-6.3 APO HSM
ISO: 400
Exposure program: M
Focal length: 500mm
Aperture: f7.1
Exposure: 1/2000
Exposure bias: -1.0ev

John Chardine
12-28-2009, 07:38 PM
Nice one Verena! I love the head-on pose and the flipper angle. At f7.1 you have enough depth of field to cover the whole bird from bill-tip to back. You did well to retain detail in the blacks and whites- the flash around the head of these birds is really tough and almost impossible not to blow. I tried the Linear Contrast preset in Curves (Ps->Image->Adjustments->Curves) on a copy of the image and the subtle boost in contrast worked I think. A very minor point- I would remove that little black spot from the far right, middle of the image. Look forward to seeing more!!!

Gus Cobos
12-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Hi Verena,
A big warm welcome to our BPN family...:) I like the composition, image and head on capture. You have good color rendition, with sharp details...I agree with John's good advise...I too am looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Lance Peters
12-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Ill second John's advice - like the composition and do think a small contrast boost would help.
Looking forward to more :)

Jeff Cashdollar
12-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Like it alot, agree with comments and a tad tight IMO - keep em coming and welcome to the BPN forum. Thanks for sharing such an interesting and beautiful picture - well done.

Bill Dix
12-29-2009, 09:41 AM
What a unique view of this little guy. Well captured. You managed to keep the details in the blacks and most of the whites, which must be a challenge for a b&w bird in the snow. Nicely done.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-29-2009, 10:59 AM
Love the head on incoming pose, exposure with details in black and white, and you even manage to get details inside the beak. Also like how there are snow on the bill, help in telling story. The black dots on the right at the edge of the frame does distract a bit.

Bob Decker
12-29-2009, 11:33 AM
What a fun composition. He looks like he's having a blast! Really have nothing to add to the recomendations above.

Arthur Morris
12-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Welcome Verena, and thanks a ton for your membership support. Tobbaganing and an open bill? To much, too good. EXP and SH perfect. Do come on over to Avian and post a few. :)