PDA

View Full Version : alone

John Chardine
12-28-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm slowly making my way through the 10,000 images I recently made in Antarctica, and offer this one up for comment. Lately I seem to be drawn to these slightly "out of the box" images. A Chinstrap Penguin in a snowfield at Half Moon Island.

I lightly cropped, ran Levels (Auto worked well), and sharpened.

Canon EOS 50D, 400/5.6
capture date: 21 November 2009
exposure program: Manual
ISO speed: 400
shutter speed: 1/500
aperture: f6.3
exposure bias: +0.0
metering: Pattern
flash: OFF

Axel Hildebrandt
12-28-2009, 05:02 PM
I like it. The wide crop, high-key, pose and composition work really well. I might crop a bit off the top. Maybe something like this? I also toned down the highlights, they were partially overexposed.

Tony Whitehead
12-28-2009, 06:04 PM
This is very good, John. I like the way you have composed this with plenty of space around the bird. Wondering about a little more detail in the snow but am on a crummy monitor at work so it may actually be there and I just can't see it. Title is very appropriate.

Danny J Brown
12-28-2009, 08:44 PM
I really love this shot, John. There are some stark environments out there and you've done well to capture one in context with a beautiful critter. Axel's repost is much more gentle on the eyes and brings the image home.

Randy Stout
12-28-2009, 09:56 PM
John:

A strong and classic composition, with small in the image subject placed with the rule of thirds.

I like the bird in the original, and snow between the two. I haven't been there, but suspect the snow is almost overpowering and featureless in some lighting.

Look forward to more. I suspect that penguins work esp. well in this type of composition, because they are so simple from a graphic standpoint (B&W)

Cheers

Randy

arash_hazeghi
12-29-2009, 12:39 AM
Cute bird and nice environment, challanging exposure. Whites just a bit hot in the original repost is a bit better. TFS

Juan Aragonés
12-29-2009, 01:48 AM
Very, very good job in this one John. I love the composition but I agree with Axel croping just a bit on the top. Light is fantastic and the textures of snow are really subtle but nice. Can wait to see more images from that trip :)

Krijn Trimbos
12-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi john,

A gorgeous shot here! Love the idea and apart from the crop you did very well here. If this were mine I would crop a bit of the right and top. Lovely exposure on the little guy and like the straigt look very much.

rmoragaz
12-29-2009, 10:12 AM
John; I remember this place, beautiful Half Moon, lots of Chinstraps!!!
Image is great; I love it, excellent composition; gives the sense of being right there.
Axel has a point, I see it a little bit overexposed.

Saludos desde Chile, Rodrigo:D

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-29-2009, 01:48 PM
John....one of the better images I have seen. Beautifully composed. Very artsy....will look great on a wall. Classic bird-in-habitat. Very well done.

Arthur Morris
12-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Love the light and the pose but would like to have seen you point the lens a bit more to the left putting the bird even more into the corner.

John Chardine
12-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks for all the great comments. I think the image had the desired effect! I like Axel's repost and it really shows the colour difference between the snow (grey) and the Chinstrap (yellowish). I'll play around with a recrop.