PDA

View Full Version : Tips on Bolivar flats?

Kaustubh Deshpande
12-28-2009, 12:42 PM
I might be going out to Houston/ Galveston for new yrs weekend. Although its a family trip, I might be able to eke out half a day for bird photography. thinking of Bolivar flats. I'd appreciate if anyone shares some tips. What are good times and locations out there? I will be staying in Galveston so it should be a short drive( + ferry). Any pointers for locations in Galveston will help too. My longest lens is 400 f/5.6 on 40D....so not looking at small birds really.

Thanks in advance.

Anand Kavalapara
01-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Kaustubh

I visited Bolivar flats in November 2008.Got lost as most of the roads were non existent due to the hurricane damage. The light was too bright, got some OK shots of Reddish Egrets and the likes. Plenty of birds come to roost in mid tide. I had a 500mm and a 400 would be OK too. Go between High and low tides. Be careful when walking on the breakwater as they are too slippery.

Morning seems to be the best as the sun will be behind you. Directions:

<b>
From Houston take I-45 South to Galveston. In town I-45 turns into Broadway. Follow Broadway to Seawall Boulevard. Turn left on Seawall. Turn left on Ferry Road to the terminal. You will exit the ferry on Hwy. 87. Follow this for 3.7 miles to Rettilon Road. Turn right and drive to the beach. Turn right on the beach and drive on the beach to the vehicular barricade where you may park.

From Fifth Street in High Island, turn left onto Hwy. 124. Go to the stop sign. Turn right on to Hwy. 87. Rettilon Road is about 25 miles. Turn left on Rettilon and drive to the beach. Turn right on the beach and drive on the beach to the vehicular barricade where you may park.</b>

http://picasaweb.google.com/akavalapara/BolivarFlats#

You will get some great shots of Brown pelicans when travelling by the ferry. So do not pack your rig too soon.

Check http://www.houstonaudubon.org for more sanctuaries or call them. They are very helpful.

Good luck
Anand

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks Anand. I did not get enough time. Next time perhaps.