PDA

View Full Version : Snow bird cometh.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Here in Illinois we got are first measurable snow over the weekend and we have had our first visit from the Dark-eyed Juncos, which will be here for the rest of the winter. I find these birds very difficult to photograph as they have a very dark eye and a very bright breast, easy to blow out. Anyway after a great deal of effort I submit the above image and would like to know your thoughts. Shooting data below:
Nikon D300
2009:12:27 12:18:39
600mm
900mm (in 35mm film)
Subject dist: 7.1m
1/800 sec, f/5
Mode: Av
Metering: Spot
Exp comp: +1/3
ISO: 400
White balance: Fine weather
Flash: Off
File size: 15.9MB
Image size: 1897 x 1466
Color space: sRGB
Saturation: Normal
Sharpness: Normal
Contrast: Normal
Color profile: sRGB IEC61966-2.1

RichardCurtin
12-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Beautiful bird. It may look better with a bit more space to the left where the bird is looking if you have that in your original image. You may see if you like this repost - I changed the color balance slightly, lighted the face, and added some eye makeup.

PS noticed the Nikon white balance as Fine Weather....not true at home here in Alabama:)

Dan Busby
12-27-2009, 09:02 PM
I think this is a fine image. It nicely captures that snowy environment where the birds often just fluff up to preserve body temperature and outlast a snowfall. I like Richard's re-post - it brought out some highlights, lightened up the scene and brought more focus to the eye. I agree that the composition could be shifted to provide more space on the left.

Wheeler McDougal Jr.
12-27-2009, 09:19 PM
Richard--Thank you for your comments and the repost, I especially like your improvement to the eye. How did you do that? Thanks again.
Mac

RichardCurtin
12-28-2009, 06:48 AM
Mac,
On the repost, after color-correcting, I lightened the entire image on a duplicate layer, covered the layer with a black mask, and painted around the face with a 5% white brush until it looked lighter. I then I then flattened the image and on another duplicate layer painted the eye with a black brush then painted the iris with a low % white brush and added the catchlight with several brushes of a white brush. I,m sure there are better ways to do this but hope this is helpful.

Best,

Dick Curtin