PDA

View Full Version : Amaryllis Bouquet

Ed Cordes
12-27-2009, 05:27 PM
This is the same plant I posted yesterday. However it is the more traditional presentation.

Which do you like better?

7D with 100 f2.8 macro. Evaluative metering at ISO 800 at EV + 1/3 and fill flash at - 1 2/3 with some skylights and overhead lights in the ceiling. f 4 and 1/40 sec on tripod, mirror lock up and 2 sec self timer. Full frame.

I chose the DOF to blur the rear petals to try to give the feeling of depth.

Thanks for looking. C&C most welcome. <!-- / message -->

Julie Kenward
12-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Beautiful lighting, Ed! Wow...the colors pop right off the page and I really like the yellow glow eminating from the center of the main flower. It does feel a little tight in the frame to me both on top and at the bottom edges - if you have any extra room I'd give it a little bit more up top and another 1/2-1" of stem at the bottom.

Gorgeous plant...I can see why you were so set on photographing it. Did you do anything special to achieve the black BG or was that just falloff from the flash?

Ed Cordes
12-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks again for the comment and input Jules. The BG is a black drape about 3 feet behind the plant. I placed it there to get the darl BG to highlight the reds in the plant.

Allen Sparks
12-28-2009, 08:49 AM
beautiful shot. love the contrasting colors with the bg...really pops. I agree with Julie on more space to the top and bottom.

Charles Wesley
12-28-2009, 06:24 PM
Ed,

This is really nice. Like the color and contrast. Seems a little tight to me also.
Really think this is a great use of fill flash. Like your technique.

Thanks for sharing...

Mike Moats
12-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Hey Ed, I like both, but probably like this one a little better. Great details and light.

Don Lacy
12-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Hi Ed, Really nice color that pops nicely agaisnt the BG, while I like the the OOF back petals I do wish the front stamen was in focus.

Stuart Frohm
12-29-2009, 06:54 AM
I like both but prefer the vertical.
Best wishes for the coming year.
Stu

Vida van der Walt
01-05-2010, 06:23 AM
Hi Ed. Beautiful flowers and a great shot. Love the detail and colours. It stands out so well from the dark bg. A bit more space top and bottom, as mentioned, would be nice.:)