PDA

View Full Version : Barn Owl Night

Lance Peters
12-27-2009, 04:13 AM
Another from my travels...
This guy was nesting in a tree hollow not far from were I was staying - shot with available light - which was a 30W spotlight with a red filter to minimise any distress to Mr Owl, didnt make for the best photographic opportunity but Mr Owls well being takes precedence.

D3
Nikon 500mm F4 with 1.7X Converter
F6.7
1/30TH
6400 ISO
Matrix Metering
Tripod

Pretty much SOC - cropped a little, no sharpening did not want to bring the noise up more.

Comments welcome and appreciated.

kostas nianiopoulos
12-27-2009, 06:32 AM
hi Lance this is a great night shoot image , i love the night images , did u use any program about the noise ?

Lance Peters
12-27-2009, 06:37 AM
hi Lance this is a great night shoot image , i love the night images , did u use any program about the noise ?

No noise reduction - straight from the camera except for cropping :)

Jeff Cashdollar
12-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Love it as presented and I agree with your priorities, well done and thanks for sharing.

Gus Cobos
12-27-2009, 10:59 AM
All I can say is Wow...I like this very much Mr. Peters...the mood and feel is off the charts...its nice using the D3 for captures like this...love it...:):cool:

Richard Waas
12-27-2009, 11:20 AM
Lance, great job for a low light image. The feel is fabulous. Are you enjoying your holiday? Happy and Healthy New Year to you and yours.....

Anita Rakestraw
12-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi, Lance, love night shots and owls, and love this!! :) I found myself looking more at the tree bark than the owl, though, and noticing that the tree took up about 1/2 the image....so took the liberty of trying a different crop....hope you don't mind....also added just a tiny bit of contrast and HP sharpening. You may not like it; just an alternative....

Lance Peters
12-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Hi, Lance, love night shots and owls, and love this!! :) I found myself looking more at the tree bark than the owl, though, and noticing that the tree took up about 1/2 the image....so took the liberty of trying a different crop....hope you don't mind....also added just a tiny bit of contrast and HP sharpening. You may not like it; just an alternative....

Hi Anita - Nice!! Like it - Think it improves it and brings the focus more to the OWL - Dont know about the sharpening and contrast.
Good show!!

Jackie Schuknecht
12-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Great shot in really tough conditions. Can't see any noise. Like the tighter crop by Anita. VWD Lance.