PDA

View Full Version : Amaryllis Vertical

Ed Cordes
12-26-2009, 04:57 PM
My wife has this beautiful Amaryllis I had to photograph. It had been blooming for some time, so I figured I had better work on it before it was too late. I made this image yesterday.

7D with 100 f2.8 macro. Evaluative metering at ISO 800 at EV + 1/3 and fill flash at - 1 2/3 with some skylights and overhead lights in the ceiling. f 8 and 1/8 sec on tripod, mirror lock up and 2 sec self timer. A slight crop from the bottom.

Thanks for looking. C&C most welcome.

Julie Kenward
12-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Wow...I think you did a wonderful job of creating a strong and highly detailed image, Ed. From a compositional standpoint, I do think you could use a bit more room at the top (easy addition of some black canvas) and I wish the flower spilled over into the frame more. I also wish we didn't have that little bit of shadow in the center of the flower - maybe a slight step to the right would have avoided that?

Beautiful details and sharpness. Love the red against the black BG.

Ed Cordes
12-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the comment, Jules. I have a more traditional version with frontal perspective of the group of blooms. In this image I was trying for less traditional view with the stamens isolated as much as possible against the BG. I also have some closer images trying to isolate the stamens more. I will post later.

Jerry van Dijk
12-27-2009, 02:18 PM
Hi Ed, it's difficult to get away from the traditional perspective with this species, because you always end up cutting through one of the flowers. Nontheless I think you did a good job. Nothing to add to Jules' comments.