PDA

View Full Version : Great Blue Skimmer

Don Lacy
12-26-2009, 01:31 PM
I have only come across this species once and was able to get a few frames before he flew off.

30D, 300 f/4 + 1.4TC, 1/125 at f/8, Aperture Priority, Evaluative Metered, Flash - 1 2/3, ISO 400, Raw, Tripod, Small crop.

Ed Cordes
12-26-2009, 09:32 PM
Great detail in the head and thorax. The OOF wing coming right out of the image at us is a bit distracting. Not much you could have done about that other than moving to the right a bit for a new angle. However it probably would have flown away!:(

Allen Sparks
12-27-2009, 12:31 AM
wonderful image and outstanding details. Love how you have captured the eyes and the spines on the legs.

Julie Kenward
12-27-2009, 07:44 AM
The wing is a little distracting but I still think it's a pretty good image. (I'd certainly keep it!) This one doesn't look quite as blue in color as most of the other DF's...do you think it was because he's older or is this pretty close to their natural color (I'm unfamiliar with the species, can you tell?) :)

Very nice comp and you are the king of silky backgrounds! I might crop a little off the bottom as the stick isn't as nicely in focus at that end but still leave room for that tail in the frame.

Jerry van Dijk
12-27-2009, 02:14 PM
Hi Don, excellent dragon! Great details and BG. Would suggest to tone down the bright circle in the UL corner in BG and the flash reflection in the eye.
Jules, I think the blues are supposed to be a little dull on this species. You've got to love those eyes!

Don Lacy
12-27-2009, 06:59 PM
This one doesn't look quite as blue in color as most of the other DF's...do you think it was because he's older or is this pretty close to their natural color (I'm unfamiliar with the species, can you tell?)
Hi Jules, These guys are a powder blue and he is in pretty good shape you can really tell a older DF by the condition of their wings much like a BF they get pretty torn up.

Mike Moats
12-28-2009, 07:07 PM
Hey Don, like the sharp details, and as always a great BG. ;)

Vida van der Walt
01-05-2010, 06:40 AM
Beautiful image Don. Great detail, lovely bg. Would also crop a bit off the bottom but not a big issue.:)