PDA

View Full Version : Bosque bobcat #2

Gerri Levine
12-26-2009, 11:22 AM
Taken at sundown with the Canon 7D, 100-400, 1/1000 at f5.6, iso 640. There was some brush in front and I didn't want to move around, so I took the shot. Unfortunately, I can only do a few things in Photoshop and cleaning up the brush is way beyond my skill level, if anything can be done that is. (I'd do a tighter crop but I want to print 8x10 and don't know if it will take the tighter crop.)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2778/4211321290_f78912afb7_b.jpg

Jeff Cashdollar
12-26-2009, 12:25 PM
Nice one, solid techs, little soft probably due to HH (or was tripod used) and ISO. I will let others jump in regarding the Post Production stuff. Wish lower left hand side obstruction was not there.

Love the pose. low angle and both eyes showing -well done.

Gerri Levine
12-26-2009, 12:42 PM
Thanks Jeff. This was handheld and is pretty tightly cropped, maybe 1/4 to 1/5 or less of the original image.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-26-2009, 12:47 PM
I should have said welcome to the BPN Forum as well. What a fantastic nature moment, bet your pulse was pounding. I also have a 7D and a 100-400 and process in LRII & CS4, just updated LRII to 2.6 to support the 7D images.

Tell me about your PS workflow, do you use NR and sharpening or plug inns?

Gerri Levine
12-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I have no workflow. I want a workflow. I need a workflow. This is just cropped (and actually it's about 1/8 of the original picture). and yes, my heart was pounding!

Dave Phillips
12-26-2009, 01:14 PM
been catching some nice images Gerri. Have noticed your recent posts way
beyond BPN guidelines for file size and dimensions.
Please note guideline #18:
18. Images should not exceed 200 kilobytes nor should they exceed 1024 pixels on the horizontal side or 800 pixels on the vertical side.

I am not the forum police, just passing on a friendly heads up......looking forward to more

Jeff Cashdollar
12-26-2009, 01:18 PM
Check out "My Pictures Don't Look Like That" in the Education Forum. This is a great primer on the basics and its references some must read material for nature photography.

APBII gives a solid workflow overview as well.

At the top of this forum is a "Sticky" on posting and sizing as well.

Enjoy and looking forward to more questions and seeing your photography.

Lance Peters
12-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi Gerri - all great advice above- do check out the sticky note on resizing - easy once you get the hang of it.

Jeff has given so good advice for further reading - the educational resources forum also has a wealth of information.
Think this one could also use a little CW rotation - other than that not looking too bad, also wish the lower left foreground distraction was not there , like the pose and the eye contact.

Keep em coming :)

Gerri Levine
12-26-2009, 03:29 PM
So sorry about the posting size. I thought I was posting 1024x either 717 or 819 but I guess I was wrong. I'll go smaller next time.
Jeff, thanks for the suggestions to look at workflows. I'll check them out but I don't know what APBII is. (I can send RAW from DPP to CS2 and do a few things. I actually prefer not doing too much to the image but I know I can improve images by learning a bit more PS!)

Dave Phillips
12-26-2009, 03:38 PM
So sorry about the posting size. I thought I was posting 1024x either 717 or 819 but I guess I was wrong. I'll go smaller next time.........................
The image is 1024 x 819 and 544kb(200kb max allowed).....and vertical can only go up to 800px.
The 1024px is for width. Just trying to clarify any confusion. Have a great week

Jeff Cashdollar
12-26-2009, 04:14 PM
APBII=Art of Bird Photography II, the Art of Bird Photography was a book and the sequel (II) is a CD. Written by Author Morris, he is very involved in this web site and many consider him to be the finest bird photographer in the world. I have read both I and II and can tell you it is a must read if you are a serious nature photographer. This is where I learner my exposure theory, PS methods and the ABC's of field techniques. The cost is minimal and the document I mentioned has a link to purchase material if you wish - hope this helps.

Gerri Levine
12-26-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks Jeff. Actually I just received the book and disc and am looking forward to reading/looking at them!

Jackie Schuknecht
12-26-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi Gerri, are you shooting in RAW? This is a big crop and I don't know if you could get a sharp print out of it. There was some noise which I removed, straightened, added canvas to the left, and cropped to an 8 x 10 format.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Jackie, strong repost!

Gerri Levine
12-26-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks so much Jackie, that looks great. I like your horizontal better than my vertical. I do shoot in RAW and I made a nice 8x10 of my original crop but don't know if it could take any more cropping. I know how to straighten and crop but I need to learn how to reduce the noise (and/or sharpen). I've seen canvas added, it's quite impressive but I don't know how to do it. Thanks again for showing me what can be done.

Gus Cobos
12-26-2009, 06:04 PM
Hi Gerri,
I like your capture...the techs. and sound advise should cover everything. Just keep them coming...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Nonda Surratt
12-26-2009, 06:59 PM
Like it Gerri, a lot! Good re-post by Jackie and some excellent advice from 'The Others';)

Welcome to the forum!