PDA

View Full Version : Upper Yosemite Falls in Spring

Indranil Sircar
12-25-2009, 08:47 PM
This is perhaps one of the most photographed vista in the world! I had taken this image in 2003. The difference for me was the sky. My settings were 1/40sec, f/8, Tv, EC: -1/3, ISO 100 on a stand. All c&c will be appreciated.

Jay Gould
12-25-2009, 09:49 PM
Mate, you have nicely captured one of my most favorite places in the entire world. I have several times climed the Falls Trail from the valley floor to the top of the falls and spent the night up on top.

TFS.

Ramesh Adkoli
12-25-2009, 11:03 PM
Beautiful image, Indranil. The lighting is just right to bring details in the shadow. Clouds add to the impact of the image. Nicely done. A minor suggestion: keeping the falls a bit to the right would have been better, IMO. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Robert Amoruso
12-26-2009, 06:58 AM
Indranil, horizontally the image is composed well in an approximate rule of thirds placement of the green, rock face and blue sky.

Vertically , I would agree with Ramesh's comments and feel he is correct on the composition and location of the falls. Being in the center of the image makes it less dramatic. I certainly understand why you composed it this way - due to the clouds. As I presume the falls to be the center of interest, the composition is better served organizing itself around that single element.

I reposted a vertical pano placing the falls on the right as suggested in a rule of thirds placement. I also like how the wisp of clouds at the top and the one puffy up drafted cloud accentuates the top of the falls and keeps the sky interesting. I also sharpened the image though now it is a bit oversharpened.

Dave Mills
12-26-2009, 11:14 AM
Hi Indranil, I did a slightly different crop than Robert. I included a bit more on the right and still offset the falls. I like the wispy clouds but felt the tradeoff for a better balanced comp was to crop some of the sky. Another way of looking at it.....

Roman Kurywczak
12-26-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi Indranil,
I like the colors and light you have and while either crop is fine for me I also don't mind the OP either......a bit centered yes......but it still works as I don't like loosing the interesting clouds! Very nicely done!

Indranil Sircar
12-26-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks a lot for all the feedback and the crops. Appreciate it a lot. I agree and like the different crops. Ideal would have been if I could maintain all the elements with falls off-center and same visual width. I did take few other images but sky was not as dramatic as this one (mostly contrails). Here is one after usm as Robert had suggested...

Indranil Sircar
12-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Here is another view of the last post with the sky from the original... but then this will be in OOTB category!

Dave Mills
12-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Hi Indranil, The last post looks like a good balance...

Indranil Sircar
12-27-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks Dave.

Peter Farrell
12-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Absolutely beautiful. I have never been here. Is the grass meadow on the bottom of the image a natural condition? I like the image a little better with this cropped off. I think I like your last re-post best as you preserved that awsome sky.
What does OOTB stand for?

Peter

Jay Gould
12-27-2009, 09:45 AM
I must admit that while the subject of the OP is the falls, having spent so much time there I think the presentation of the granite grandeur is equally important and the most I would have cropped from the right is the small granite in shadow. TFS.

Indranil Sircar
12-27-2009, 11:54 AM
Absolutely beautiful. I have never been here. Is the grass meadow on the bottom of the image a natural condition? I like the image a little better with this cropped off. I think I like your last re-post best as you preserved that awsome sky.
What does OOTB stand for?

Peter

Thanks Peter. Yes, typically that's how the meadow is once the ground snow melts from early spring and then drying off by mid summer.

OOTB stands for Out of the box forum on BPN.

I must admit that while the subject of the OP is the falls, having spent so much time there I think the presentation of the granite grandeur is equally important and the most I would have cropped from the right is the small granite in shadow. TFS.

Thanks Jay. I know the feeling once one starts spending time in the park! I typically go there 3-4 times year and hiked up and down many of the areas. I agree with your assessment on the granite face and that could be another alternative. Thanks for looking.

John Ippolito
12-29-2009, 12:41 PM
Lovely image, Indranil. I like the last post best. The sky is wonderful in this one. Well done.

Indranil Sircar
12-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks John.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
12-29-2009, 08:34 PM
Awesome image and thanks for sharing