PDA

View Full Version : 40D Picture Styles?

Ed Cordes
02-18-2008, 02:20 PM
I am about to get a 40D to upgrade from my trusty 10D I am currently using as a back up to my 1DMK2. This will be the first Canon camera I will own with "Picture Styles". The silly direct print button will never be used, so I am wondering about the usefullness of the "Picture Styles".

Question is, since I shoot 100% RAW do the Picture Styles make a difference, or does RAW ignore the settings? If RAW utilizes them what is the suggested setting for processing in ACR 4.XX and CS3?

Thanks, Ed

Alfred Forns
02-18-2008, 04:32 PM
Ed the picture styles affect the camera settings One favors dof, other shutter speed etc It has nothing to do with the RAW image Would stay away and set what you need

From the reports I've seen the 40D is a very capable camera

Ed Cordes
02-18-2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the response Al. So, I can turn them off and just use Manual, Tv and Av as always? Obviously the camera has not arrived yet.

Ken Kovak
02-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Ed,

Even if you have them turned on I don't beleive they impact the raw file, just the emedded jpg and/or the coincident jps you may shoot along with thr raw.

Ken

Alfred Forns
02-19-2008, 12:23 PM
Good luck with your new camera Ed !!!! Just forget all those settings including the green mode That is the most automatic off all !!!!

If you go to the green mode the camera defaults to jpeg!!!!! Not sure about the other symbols but it might Just stay in M Av Tv !!!!

c.w. moynihan
02-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Avoid the pictures styles Ed, As others have mentioned, they do not affect the raw file. They will employ the picture style settings as the default raw settings when you open a raw file in Canon's DPP. They will not in Adobe or Capture one. The best setting is to shoot raw, set your picture style (user defined) to neutral and drop the contrast slider down two notches (-2) and boost in camera sharpening by 2 (+2). This is strictly for the embedded jpeg that is included in the raw file and is what you see in the lcd when reviewing your histogram. By setting contrast to minus 2 for the embedded jpeg, you will be getting the most out of your highlights w/o blowing them in the raw file (expose to the right)....as long as you watch your histogram. ;)

Ed Cordes
02-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Thanks for all the help, Guys. I was pretty sure the Picture Styles didn't do a thing for RAW. Kind of wish the camera companies would quit putting this extra stuff in pro or semi pro cameras when it is not needed.