PDA

View Full Version : Osprey and Butter Fish

Richard Mc Donald
12-25-2009, 07:18 AM
http://nhulunbuy.com/os.jpg
1D MKII EF500mm + 1.4 extender f/8 ISO400 -1exp

This was a shot was taken on the 24th December 2004 and in the time since then I've attempted numerous edits but can't quite get it to be where I'm happy with it for print.

Of all my shots that I need help with from those more skilled this would be the one so feel free to hammer away, it'll be very much appreciated.

So far I've lightened and upped the the yellow of the eye, boosted the neutrals and blacks with 3 layers of smart sharpening. I've also tried to burn the over exposed parts of the wings and head in ACR using the Adjustment Brush.

This is my first attempt at editing on a laptop (being a die hard CRT user) so I have no idea of how it's going to appear to others.

The shot itself has a significant importance to me as it was the result of crouching behind a tree for some two hours watching a pair of these Ospreys. Over a 2 day period of doing the same and getting a handful of usable photos this was the cream of the crop so to speak.

Three years of very poor rain during our wet season here in the top end of Australia and the lagoon water levels as low as I've seen them, the Ospreys took the advantage of the fish being pooled in a more confined area.

Richard

Bill Jobes
12-25-2009, 07:56 AM
Hi Richard,

First of all, I love the action in your photo!

Here is your image with highlight details enhanced, color made more vivid, and some additional sharpening.

Is this what you were looking to achieve?

- Bill

Axel Hildebrandt
12-25-2009, 08:31 AM
I like the angle, splashes and the fish adds to it. There are some artifacts in the BG, running NR on it would help. I would tone down the highlights and wish we could see the underside of the near wing.

Grace Scalzo
12-25-2009, 11:38 AM
Great action image. I've tried catching this myself with no luck. I think that you were hampered by that background and tough light conditions, so I would keep on going back to wherever these birds are hanging out and you'll get that dream shot eventually.