PDA

View Full Version : Flaps His Wings

kostas nianiopoulos
12-25-2009, 06:23 AM
http://www.imagevimage.com/images/Flaps_His_Wings.jpg (http://www.imagevimage.com/)

crop , hi pass filters on the main theme dragon fly and plant, super smooth topaz on BG .
I dont know about u , but to me it like the first pair of the wings , is a bit out of the focus , maybe i should use other aperture .

canon eos 50d
shutter speed 1/256
lens aperture 5,7
focal length 150mm
iso speed 400
metering mode marix
aperture priority program

thanks for your time , and best wishes for the chistmas. Don't eat a lot sweets is not easy to lose the weight after .

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
12-25-2009, 08:19 AM
Love the color, the sharpness and the perch. I don't mind about the OOF wings but the glare on the top left wing is a bit distracting. However I like how the glare help bring out details on the other wings. The background a bit busy.

Merry Christmas and I'll watch out those sweets.

Jeff Cashdollar
12-25-2009, 08:57 AM
Macro photography is an art to itself. Nice shot, better eye position and cleaner BG (URHC 45 degree branch) as noted by TJ would make it stronger but still nice image. Exposure techs are solid and good advise on eating sweets - TFS.

Gus Cobos
12-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Hi Kostas,
I like your dragonfly capture...a few points to consider...when photographing these little guys, try to fill the subject in frame about 70 percent. Also he is a little too centered in frame, he needs to be placed a little to the right side of the frame in order to follow the natural diagonal slant of the perch, pointing toward the left. The background is a little distracting, catching my eye with the black spots. I took the liberty in working with your photo to illustrate these points. I cropped from the top and from the right, to offset your subject. I adjusted the mid-tones, set your black point, adjusted the saturation and contrast levels. I selective sharpened the wings and portions of the body, also diffused the background and blended the elements a little more so that they would not be as harsh...see if you like this...:):cool:

kostas nianiopoulos
12-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi Kostas,
I like your dragonfly capture...a few points to consider...when photographing these little guys, try to fill the subject in frame about 70 percent. Also he is a little too centered in frame, he needs to be placed a little to the right side of the frame in order to follow the natural diagonal slant of the perch, pointing toward the left. The background is a little distracting, catching my eye with the black spots. I took the liberty in working with your photo to illustrate these points. I cropped from the top and from the right, to offset your subject. I adjusted the mid-tones, set your black point, adjusted the saturation and contrast levels. I selective sharpened the wings and portions of the body, also diffused the background and blended the elements a little more so that they would not be as harsh...see if you like this...:):cool:

thanks Gus i like what u did a lot ...u are right about 70 percent of the frame , but in this case , this plant it is in a little lake and i was out side of it , it wasnt easy to get close to him , thanks a lot for the help any way ....

Gus Cobos
12-25-2009, 12:27 PM
Thats OK Kostas,
Some times we get what we can get due to the circumstances...in this case I don't want you getting wet or falling in the lake...:eek::D:) Merry Christmas my friend, and a Very Happy New Year to you and your family...:cool:

kostas nianiopoulos
12-25-2009, 12:36 PM
thank u so much for your wishes , same wishes to you , all the best ...

Alfred Forns
12-25-2009, 02:52 PM
Hi Kostas

With these macro images the dof is very limited and don't think you could extend to both, only by making several images then combining.

My main issue with the image is that I torn between the Dfly and the plant, not sure which to focus on !! Would go real tight after the bug only !!

Lance Peters
12-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Hi Kostas - Im with AL on this one, gus's repost improves but would have had to really crank that DOF up to get what you wanted and as AL mentioned maybe not even then - would have also dropped your shutter speed way down. These guys are hard to shoot mutliple frames with different focus points - bit not impossible, once they land you have a chance - easy then to combine in Photoshop.
Like it
Merry Christmas :)