PDA

View Full Version : Masked Duck Madness

Layton E Parham
12-24-2009, 12:05 PM
I believe the madness will just be starting. A few years ago photographers and bird watchers flocked to Viera Wetlands. The female Masked Duck made them all crazy. Well the Male of the species. has arrived.

Canon 5D mark II, 500F4L,F8,1/500sec, stacked teleconverters, Crop

Axel Hildebrandt
12-24-2009, 12:15 PM
I like the light and calm water and wish the bird were angled toward you. It looks as i you sharpened the entire image which makes the water look quite noisy.

I remember the excitement when this bird showed up. :)

Peter Farrell
12-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Cool looking duck. I like the lighting, the ringed ripples around the duck and the water drops on it's back.
BG is a little noisy above and behind the duck.

Peter

Kurt Bowman
12-24-2009, 12:46 PM
Nice light on this sbjecct. The top of the image does seem to have a bit of noise.

Jim Coda
12-24-2009, 01:32 PM
Some day I'm going to have to try stacked teleconverters. If you haven't cropped it a lot to begin with I'd suggest cropping a bit off the left and bottom per the rule of thirds.

Aidan Briggs
12-24-2009, 01:59 PM
I agree on the noise, and the bird is a little tight on the right side. Image is a bit too contrasty. You might try lowering the contrast with an inverse S-curve in Curves.

Paul Lagasi
12-25-2009, 02:04 AM
Last January I was lucky enough to see the female Masked Duck, a fellow avid birder and I drove down to Lake City, Florida (Aligator Lake) from Canada. One day down, two days to see the Masked Duck, and try for the Harris Sparrow (Paynes Prairie)...then back home 2600 miles in all.

No luck on Harris Sparrow, but 1,000's of Sandhills, 10 Whooping Cranes at Paynes Prairie.

Very tough to get close to her, photo below is best I could get, but was a great bird to see anywhere in North America..

How long has the male been there? Where has it been seen? Thanks for sharing image, I'd love to have one so nice in my collection, if it sticks around I'll try to get down to see the male.
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 147pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=196 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 147pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7168" width=196><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #ece9d8; BORDER-LEFT: #ece9d8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; WIDTH: 147pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #ece9d8; BORDER-RIGHT: #ece9d8" class=xl22 height=17 width=196></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Image not that great, just one for my collection..someday I'll get a better one..