PDA

View Full Version : Harrison River, BC Bald Eagles - Photoshop assistance required

Jamie Douglas
12-23-2009, 09:23 PM
Can anyone help me with cloning out the scrub which is in the way of the eagles right foot? Am I best to zoom in and use the cloning tool or is there an easier way?

Thanks in advance.

Body: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XTi
Lens: EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM with Canon 2x Convertor II
Tech: 640mm 1/500Sec @ F8.0, ISO 800, Ex Comp +2/3

Alfred Forns
12-23-2009, 09:40 PM
Hi Jamie

Here is quick and dirty Just just clone around the area and try not to have repeating pattern, key is to go slow and magnify so you see what you are doing !!!

... btw love the pose, wish you had more detail in the head area which is shaded by wings, exposure does not look bad at all .. good detail on the top of wings and whites look good !!

Jamie Douglas
12-23-2009, 10:06 PM
Thanks Alfred. Let me go see what I can do.

This was the 3rd visit and I feel I am starting to get the shots I was looking for. I was concentrating on exposure during this trip so I appreciate your comments. I do wish the head was better, very difficult to get the perfect shot but I am learning fast based on comments in this forum and APB II. Taking a little more time to get through Digital Basics though. Its one thing to learn how to get the shot and another to apply PS techniques.

Caspar Davis
12-23-2009, 11:01 PM
Wonderful pose and sharpness.

Alfred Forns
12-23-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi Jamie It is os true Today you also need to know processing it isn't just making the image. For the most part it should be simple to process but occasional you will get one special that merits the work !!!

btw Arties book is the best I've seen as far as being helpful, easy to follow and to the point !!

Jamie Douglas
12-23-2009, 11:44 PM
His books are fantastic, very easy to follow and inspiring.

I used the clone tool to clean up around the foot and the shadow/highlight to lighten the head but I think I may have killed the BG a little and lost the contrast on the wings a little too much for my liking.

I dont want to clutter this thread so leave this with me.

Thanks again Alfred.

Jamie Douglas
12-23-2009, 11:50 PM
Wonderful pose and sharpness.

Thanks Casper. I appreciate your comments regarding the sharpness. Using a 2x and zoom lens this can sometimes be an issue, but a tripod helps.

Gus Cobos
12-24-2009, 05:52 AM
Hi Jamie,
All the techs. have been covered and sound advise given...I like the landing pose, you have fine sharp details and Mr. Forns' repost enhances it and helps concentrate on the action...looking forward to your next one...good show...:cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
12-24-2009, 12:38 PM
QM can help too.

Jamie Douglas
12-24-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks again folks and Merry Christmas. I spent sometime last night reading through DB again so lets see what I can do over the weekend.